How to get a Flow Field kick off validation

Is there any kind of trigger attached to a flow field which can kick off a validation when a flow field is changed/updated? Say, I have a flow field “Volume” base on which an amount field is being calculated. When this “Volume” flow field is updated, how can I ask it to automatically kick off the validation on the Amount field?

Look at how Budgets are updated in the G/L. The budgetvalues are flowfields. Lars Strøm Valsted ------------------------- Software development today is a race between the programmers trying to make better and more foolproof programs, and the universe trying to make bigger idiots. So far the universe is winning.

Hi, maybe I misunderstood the problem here but in my opinion there is no automatical running through the validate trigger of the “source-field” (“amount” in your case) if you update a flow field with the CALCFIELDS command. Or did I miss something? :slight_smile: Micha

quote:

Originally posted by Micha: Hi, maybe I misunderstood the problem here but in my opinion there is no automatical running through the validate trigger of the “source-field” (“amount” in your case) if you update a flow field with the CALCFIELDS command. Or did I miss something? :slight_smile: Micha

That’s what I thought, however, I just want to make sure there’s no work around besides putting the validation at the form trigger event. Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

to the question “Is there any kind of trigger attached” I’m using a “test and see” approach. say you want something to happen when entering a value in form 113 (the form is based upon table-15, and you are entering values in field-33, which is a flowfield of field-7 in table-96(with som filters -of course). Then I’ve used to place code on OnValidate on the fields in use, to see witch is triggered, and in what order. some code like: MESSAGE(‘OnValidate Table96-Field7’); on the OnValidate of Table96 - Field7, and simular on OnValidate on Table15 and Form113 - and I’ve got an idea of which triggers are used - and are better able to place code where it belongs. Anyone else got a better solution to this - suggestions are allways welcome. Arve

quote:

Originally posted by armyk: to the question “Is there any kind of trigger attached” I’m using a “test and see” approach. say you want something to happen when entering a value in form 113 (the form is based upon table-15, and you are entering values in field-33, which is a flowfield of field-7 in table-96(with som filters -of course). Then I’ve used to place code on OnValidate on the fields in use, to see witch is triggered, and in what order. some code like: MESSAGE(‘OnValidate Table96-Field7’); on the OnValidate of Table96 - Field7, and simular on OnValidate on Table15 and Form113 - and I’ve got an idea of which triggers are used - and are better able to place code where it belongs. Anyone else got a better solution to this - suggestions are allways welcome. Arve

Yes, I tried that, that’s how I found out I have to put VALIDATE() in the AfterGetCurrentRecord of the form in order to get the field updated instantaneously when the drill down form (for the flow field) is updated & closed. However, since we tried not to put validation code on form, we want to see if there’s actually better solution to it. Again, thanks for your time and help :slight_smile: