How analysing SQL Server log to improve Navision

My task is to solve some deadlocks occured for a Navision (3.70a) installation with SQL Server 2000. I’m not a Navision programmer but I have experience about SQL Server.

I have added the parameters /T1204 e /T3605 for SQL Server log to obtain major information about these deadlocks. But I want to connect process and thread information to Navision statement to find the correct point to modify the code.

How can I solve this issue?

Many thanks

Not exactly a help on SQL but I strongly recommend an upgrade, executables only to 3.70B.

This shoudl only cost a few hours and give benefits immediately.

[;)]

Since you have already stated that you are not a Navision programmer, your first step is to find someone that is, that you can work with. Don’t think you are going to jump in and start changing code to resolve locking issues without a solid understanding of Navision.

Thanks.

I have already contact a my Navision programmer. But I want to exam the SQL Server log to provide major information about the right points of Navision code to modify.

Can you help me to solve this issue?

Many thanks

Most locking issues for Navision on SQL get resolved by looking at the transaction speed.

You can either look at the SQL resource kit for Navision or hire an expert. [A]

Please look at www.sqlperform.com

You won’t find much information about which code to modify in NAV by looking at the SQL Server log. You have to start in NAV. First use the session monitor to figure out which sessions are holding things up. Then you run the client monitor on those sessions to figure out where the slow transactions are. With that information you start analyzing what to do about it.

There is nothing in SQL Server that you can do to speed up NAV as far as coding goes. There are some maintenance jobs that you can run to enhance performance, but SQL Server is the wrong place to look for hints to modify NAV code.

Hi Pasquale,

basically what Babrown says is correct. Unfrotunately the Way Navision is implemented on SQL means that it really does not follow the rules that you as a SQL developer would expect. This was made blatently clear to me at Convergence and Tech Ed.

But Navision can be made to fly on SQL if done correctly. You really have two options. 1/ If you want to long term work with Navision, then make the effort ot learn how Navision does its stuff on SQL. We had a gret presentation on training from www.sqlperform.com these guys can train you to get the most from SQL. Or you could contact a Navision freelancer such as Mark Brummel who specializes in helping clients get maximum performance from their Navision SQL systems.

Hmm something odd is going on here… I am about5 hours behind in seeing new threads, so Marq and Denster, sorry for cross posting. (ps Mark don’t be shy, throw a free addvert in here [:D] )