Hotfix policy

I was just wondering what is an official Navision policy on installing hotfixes into clients databases? We have implemented Navision 3.01a in January 2002 and NEVER received a hotfix from our NSC. Please let us know.

First of all, you need to have a support contract to receive upgrades and hotfixes. I think this is a direct contract with MS, but I could be mistaken. This is only half of it though, because then you only receive the objects and/or executables. You’d have to have your NSC do the actual upgrade, especially if you have modifications. Let me know if you have this contract but still haven’t received any updates. We’re on improvement 40-something now of version 3.7, so you’re pretty far behind there :).

As general explanation, if a database is not having customizations on the objects affected by the hotfix, the objects can be just imported on the database, but the problem comes with customizations, as the objects included on the hotfix do not include those custom changes and your NSC is having to adapt the hotfix to your customizations or using the changelog file to put the hotfix changes on your actual objects.

Daniel and Alfonso thanks for your replies. We do have a contract and actual upgrade was never done (after 28 months of running on Navision 3.01a). The degree of customization is extensive, however. Denis Petrov

Not all NSC’s are alike as we all know. We’ve been live on 3.7 since Nov, and this user group is the only place we became aware of any hotfixes for 3.7! Imagine our surprise and disappointment with our NSC.

There is a W1_370_Hotfix 3 thru 17 available. They do not apply to the North American database as far as I’ve found.

quote:

Originally posted by savatage99
There is a W1_370_Hotfix 3 thru 17 available. They do not apply to the North American database as far as I’ve found.

For the North American Verision, You need to apply the Improvements which include the W1 Hotfixes: Service Pack A = Hotfixes 2-17 Improvement 31 = Hotfixes 4-9 Improvement 41 = Hotfixes 11,14 Improvement 42 = Hotfix 15 Improvement 44 = Hotfix 16

The rule of thumb is that if there is a W1 executable hotfix (i.e. new exe’s or dll’s) then they are ok for the US version. If the hotfix includes objects, then you need specific objects for each version.

Also, not all hot fixes will apply to all clients. Several hot fixes are for payroll updates and if the client doesn’t use payroll then there’s no real need to implement the hot fix. Django

quote:

Originally posted by DjangMan
Also, not all hot fixes will apply to all clients. Several hot fixes are for payroll updates and if the client doesn’t use payroll then there’s no real need to implement the hot fix.

Personally, I like to load all improvements. If they touch granuales that are not being used (ie payroll), then there will be no custom and they will load in minutes. You will find that if the client ever goes to payroll in the future, your life will be much easier. Also, payroll updates will also touch some “cross-over” objects such as the Employee Table.