Hotcopy

Hello, I am trying to get the included hotcopy to work for the Navision database. The database is split into 3 files. Those files need to be backed up to a network share. My description file looks like this : [Backup Files] D:\SWGMH-3.70-1.fdb=\stw1\navision E:\SWGMH-3.70-2.fdb=\stw1\navision F:\SWGMH-3.70-3.fdb=\stw1\navision [Options] servername=stw106 user=hotcopy password=password cc=yes osauthentication=no Now, when I run hotcopy from the command line (hotcopy source=backup.txt) I get an error message telling me, that the network password is not correct. I am logged in as administrator and that user definetly has access to the backup share (I can create and delete files/folders there). Also there is a user hotcopy with which can write to the share as well, if that is even needed that is. If I map the network share to a drive letter and change the backup description file to use that instead I get a different error message : The operating system cannot find the drive and directory specified for the file . Please check that the drive, directory and file names are correct. However, the drives and the backup path is listed correctly before the above error message appears. Help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi! Have you assigned a proper Account to the NAVISION-Server Service? Run in Windows “Services”, doubleclick the NAVISION Server Service to open the properties and look at the page “Login” (?Anmelden?). The default value is “Local Systemaccount”. Choose an explicit account; this should be a user who has rights to read/write the source and target folders … then, restart the service and try again! Maybe that’s the problem [8]

Did you specify the user ID of an administrator (or account you are using for backup) in the Windows Logins of database you want to backup?

Hi, I have exactly the same problem/error message as teamdat. Navision service has administration rights (admin account). However, the Navision server is NOT a member of the domain were the backup should be stored. Administrator accounts (both domain controller and Navision server) have the same password. And I can use the domain services with the administartor account of the Navision server. Anybody any idea?

I mean just to give it a try: Could you just test if you can run the hotcopy to a local drive instead of the network share ? If that works you defintely have a network security problem. In this case I would advice to map a network driver permanently (with user and password) to the network share and store using the drive letter. Otherwise if it does not work there are two options: * You cannot access the Database because of wrong parameters. * You need to set the nettype property

Just found an important note in the ISM.pdf: Note . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . If you have set up Navision Database Server as a service and want Hotcopy to store the database backup on a remote computer, you must change the Log On options of the Navision Database Server service. You must give the Navision Database Server service the credentials of a domain user that has the appropriate rights on the remote computer and not use the default value (local system account). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

quote:

Note . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . If you have set up Navision Database Server as a service and want Hotcopy to store the database backup on a remote computer, you must change the Log On options of the Navision Database Server service. You must give the Navision Database Server service the credentials of a domain user that has the appropriate rights on the remote computer and not use the default value (local system account). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Originally posted by tb@softsys.at - 2006 Jan 27 : 03:41:59

quote:

Navision service has administration rights (admin account).
Originally posted by walter@kirz 2006 Jan 27 : 03:22:15

I tried to “HotCopy” to a local drive but don’t have sufficient space on the local drives. However, I have set nettype, access to the database is OK, and the permanent mapping is not working either. Again, the Navision server is NOT a member of the domain. Did I miss something?

I guess it should be sufficient when you run the service as a local user only, as long as a user with the same name and the same password exists on the remote machine (domain). By the way, you can run the hotcopy command from the remote machine (where the backup should be placed) as well. This way you would definitely have write access to the directory. Just change your description file accordingly.

quote:

By the way, you can run the hotcopy command from the remote machine (where the backup should be placed) as well. This way you would definitely have write access to the directory.
Originally posted by tb@softsys.at - 2006 Jan 27 : 07:35:17

Sounds logic. I have not thought about that. I will try and let you know. Thanks for the hint.