hotcopy problems

last week hotcopy works fine - this weekend i expand the database from 4 to 5 pieces and now hotcopy doesnt work: C:>D:\a370Server\hotcopy source=\leia\e$\AlnA370_1.fdb \leia\f$\AlnA370_2.fdb \leia\g$\AlnA370_3.fdb \leia\h$\AlnA370_4.fdb \leia\i$\AlnA370_5.fdb destination=\leia\e$ \leia\f$ \leia\g$ \leia\h$ \leia\i$ user=**** password=**** Backup W1 3.70 Backup Tool for Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision version 3.70 Copyright (c) 1987-2003 Microsoft Business Solutions ApS. Backup started at 2005/02/14 13:09:44. Free space on the destination volume \leia\e$\ is 51485304 KB. Total size of database files is 20000000 KB. List of database files to be backed up on volume \leia\e$: \leia\e$\AlnA370_1.fdb Óè7 i need hotcopy . . .

I’m not sure what 4 to 5 pieces is? Do you have one database of X size? Or numerous databases of y size? I had similar problems expanding my database over 5Gb Hotcopy would not work. As a workaround I split the database into a couple of 4.5Gb datafiles. Hotcopy has worked since, but it is watched everyday. Regards John

last week we had 4 datafiles with 25GB - but the performance wasnt good enough - so i put 2 new harddisk (RAID1) into the server, made a backup and make a new database with 5 datafile with 20GB and restore it. and now - hotcopy doesnt work

First i would recommend to run hotcopy using the drive names directly (f:\AlnA370_2.fdb instead of \leia\f$\AlnA370_2.fdb). I once had a bad performance-problem which was solved this way. Next you should place your hotcopy-setting into a file. It is far easier to read (and thus to maintain) and maybe the problem solved this way … Look for hotcopy in the forum and you will find examples for the ini-file.

ich habe viele Variationen durchprobiert, auch eine datei erstellt, aber es funktioniert nicht, so lange ich das backup auf die gleiche Platte haben möchte . . . egal ob UNC oder lokaler LW-Buchstabe vorher hat es ja auch funktioniert, mit 4 db-teilen und je 25GB - ich hab doch nur die datenbank auf 5 Teile gebracht . . schei… die backup-Teile auf einen anderen Rechner kopieren zu lassen klappt problemlos . . . verteilt und auch in ein ziel . . . ggrrrr…

Have you re-installed the NAVISION db-server (service)? If yes: have you configured the service account of the NAVISION server - to have the proper rights … ?

its the same service and the same db-filenames - only the number of db-files are different. the backup works when the destination isnt the same volume but there is enaugh space and the rights are set user/change . . . .