Hotcopy error!

Hi Guys, Really need help on this on. I am using hotcopy on a W2K server running Navision 3.6 trying to backup a database that has two files. These files are in the same folder and have different names. Have tried the format: source=c:\db1\database.fbd c:\db1\database2.fdb and source=c:\db1\database.fdb+c:\db1\database2.fdb . None of these work. Can anyone say what the correct syntax is for this type of backup. Thanks.

Hi, We use Hotcopy for 3.6 and this is the string that we use. Hopefully this can help you. “c:\program files\navision attain\database server\hotcopy.exe” source=e:\database\database.fdb f:\database\database.fdb g:\database\database.fdb h:\database\database.fdb i:\database\database.fdb j:\database\database.fdb k:\database\database.fdb destination=E:\AttainBak\ F:\AttainBak\ G:\AttainBak\ H:\AttainBak\ I:\AttainBak\ J:\AttainBak\ K:\AttainBak\ description=“This is a Navision backup” servername=192.168.0.1:2407 dbtest=normal email=backuplog@mycompany.com user=xxxx password=xxxx cc=yes nettype=tcp Best Daniel

Ok that looks good but I have all three database files in the same directory. What then???

quote:

Originally posted by danielekwall
Hi, We use Hotcopy for 3.6 and this is the string that we use. Hopefully this can help you. “c:\program files\navision attain\database server\hotcopy.exe” source=e:\database\database.fdb f:\database\database.fdb g:\database\database.fdb h:\database\database.fdb i:\database\database.fdb j:\database\database.fdb k:\database\database.fdb destination=E:\AttainBak\ F:\AttainBak\ G:\AttainBak\ H:\AttainBak\ I:\AttainBak\ J:\AttainBak\ K:\AttainBak\ description=“This is a Navision backup” servername=192.168.0.1:2407 dbtest=normal email=backuplog@mycompany.com user=xxxx password=xxxx cc=yes nettype=tcp Best Daniel

Well it should work even if the files are in the same directory, atleast according to the manual from Navision (Installation&System Managment). I see a small mistake in your string, the first c:\db1\database.fbd is mispelled(fdb not fbd), but mayby this is only when you typed it here. Daniel

Trevor, I think the question is “why do you have all the files int he same directory?”. There is no benefit to it, performance will only increase if you have database partitions on seperate Physical drives. You should either a/ get more drives, or b/ create a new database as one file.

Hotcopy works fine if you have the database files in the same directory. This is said regardless whether it is a good idea or not to have files in the same directory, hotcopy doesen’t care. I think your problem was as it was mentioned earlier that you mistyped the path.