Help! Need Dot Matrix hints

We have a client that has been running v2.00 for several years without a hitch. On Tuesday night and they gave us only a couple of days’ notice – not probably that we would have thought of this issue anyway, even with more warning) they upgrade from NT server and W98 clients to W2000 server and XP clients. Everything is perfect… EXCEPT … Their invoices are continuous form multipart 7" tall invoices. Until this week, when they printed, they used the properties of the printer selection screen to tell it the form was 7" tall. Worked perfectly, since Navision gets its form length from the driver. Apparently, Windows XP (or W2000; I looked there as well) does not believe in 7" forms, as I have been unable to locate ANY driver for ANY printer with such an option. Internally (at the design stage for the report), Navision also has neither a 7" form nor any way to specify length manually. They are perfectly willing to purchase an additional/new printer, but their willingness to (voluntarily) change to 11" forms, laser or otherwise, is very low. Has anyone tackled this??? HELP… and thanks

As far I am aware you can create customised length forms in Windows 2000, not sure about XP. By goig to Start/Printers/File/Server Properties and creating a form. Not sure if this will actually let you select the new form, again will depend on the printer. Hope this Helps Kevin Wilson

If they use OKI printers or derivatives, chances of them working in W2K environment, with custom forms are slim to none. The only brand that did not give me any trouble in W2K was Epson (brand new with brand new W2K software). Theoretically, the custom form should pop on the client side for selection (in the report properties, paper size), but that again depends on the printer driver. Alex

quote:

Originally posted by kevin_wilson
As far I am aware you can create customised length forms in Windows 2000, not sure about XP. By goig to Start/Printers/File/Server Properties and creating a form. Not sure if this will actually let you select the new form, again will depend on the printer. Hope this Helps Kevin Wilson

This appear to be just the solution I’ve been searching for, I’ve also been fustrated that the custom papersize was removed from w2000 :slight_smile: Thanks a bunch…

This may not be a practical suggestion in this situation, but I have done projects where we successfully convinced the client to get rid of the multi-part forms. These multi-part forms are typically used as a workaround for the limitations of the old legacy system, but the new Navision installation has different limitations :slight_smile: Usually the forms are used so you can route copies to different departments (and in many cases the recipients re-enter all the info into their own database systems)— but it may be acceptable to simply print up multiple copies of the invoice. Navision’s report writer is designed to print reports, including invoices, on a laser-printer, with plain paper, in a generic 12-point sans-serif font. It can be tweaked to print out reports on other printers and/or with other paper and/or in a different font, but this tweaking requires a lot of effort. Maybe the effort is unnecessary in this case.

If all else fails, you can write the output to a text file using navision’s FILE functions, then call the windows shell Retval := SHELL(‘Print.exe filename’). This is a bit of a drastic method, but it works well. The only time when Ive found this is neccessary is when printing security payslips, which have to be done on a dot matrix (usually oki printers have this problem). Regards, Edward. ps. I think print.exe is only implemented on win2k and above.