Have I managed to break 4.0 already ????

Going through our 3rd month end we have managed to make the system very annoyed !!

1. We have a sales order which had lines linked to a special order (purchase code). We have posted the sales order before creating a warehouse receipt for the purchase order. We then went to post the purchase order and had to re-open this as the posting date was in a closed period. Now the system will not let us release the purchase order and we get a message saying the system can’t find the related sales order. That’s true because we have shipped and invoiced already.

We now have a negative inventory and a purchase order we can’t seem to clear any ideas ??

1. We have a sales order which had direct shipment (purchase code lines). The sales order has been shipped (not invoiced). We have noticed that the items shipped are incorrrect. When I try to undo the shipment the system says I can’t because it is a direct shipment. It appears as though I have no way of reversing the shipment. Any ideas on this one ??

And it was all going so well…

1 - I was checking and I can’t see any validation with special orders with release order. Can you write the detailed message so I could find out where the validation it’s made.

2 – You can make a sales return and make again the shipment.

Hi Nuno

Re:point 1 this is the message I get when trying to release the purchase order is “The sales line does not exist”. whcih unfortunately is correct because I have already shippped and invoiced the sales order, therefore it is now a posted shipment/invoice.

Re: point 2 do you mean create a sales return order ? If so does this mean I can still process the original order afterwards ? Also we have not used sales return orders yet and looking at it in the test system I can get into my head the link to the original shipment.

Regards

Michael

1 - Try to remove purchase code from purchase line. If I don’t work try to blank field “Special Order Purchase No.”
2 - You can’t use original order. Sales return works like a credit memo.

Hi Michael

Report point 1 to your reseller, they should issue a fix for this. However this is a debatable point on the “functionality” of special orders. It creates a link and naturally you should not be able to get into a situation you cannot get out of but you are correct, to process through the purchase order it wants to reference the sales order, and as this is invoiced it cannot, so throws up the error message. Microsoft will argue that your processing is incorrect, which is kind of true - how could you have shipped the goods linked to a specific purchase order without actually having them? However there either needs to be a check on the sales order shipment, or the purchase order to allow it to override. I cannot remember if I previously reported this, or we fixed it internally at my old reseller.

Point 2 highlights the inflexibility of the drop shipment. Once you have the vendor information that the goods have been shipped, and you “receive” them and the sales order is shipped you have passed the point of no return. You will need to invoice the purchase order and sales order, to get the details correct you will need to credit both of these off, return order or credit memo, then reload the sales and purchase orders to the point prior to the data error, set the data correctly and receive the goods in again. Not smooth and Microsoft have been made aware of this.

It’s not inflexibility only from drop shipments, I complain a lot when using advanced warehouse features. How many times users make wrong shipments and they have to create sales returns and credit memos [:(]

I think this is the symptom of a developing system. Prior to 4 there was no unship or middle ground inventory picks and putaways. I am sure they felt the extra production of an instruction, and then the verification of this in the assigning, and then the posting there were enough steps to stop issues, but as we know, in the real world this is not the case. I am sure one day in the future we will get an un-ship at the warehouse level as well (probably)

Well I didn’t think we were going mad, yet the interesting thing is in 18 months of testing we never spotted these problems. Yet within 86 days of go-live we managed to break it. Can we claim a record or is anyone else going to beat this ???

Regards and thanks for your help

Michael

I don’t think it’s a record. I already had seen implementation that error only came out after one later.

We use a modified drop ship process, so our system is different,

But in remembering how the unmodified system worked, the po link to the sales order was the purchase header field “your reference” I believe that was populated with the sales order number, if you delete this, then the system should let you process the purchase order.

since our system is modified, I can not test this for you.

it might be linked by another field in the header, just do an Ctrl F8 on the purchase header and look at all the fields and see if you can find one that references the sales order.

We use a modified drop ship process, so our system is different,

But in remembering how the unmodified system worked, the po link to the sales order was the purchase header field “your reference” I believe that was populated with the sales order number, if you delete this, then the system should let you process the purchase order.

since our system is modified, I can not test this for you.

it might be linked by another field in the header, just do an Ctrl F8 on the purchase header and look at all the fields and see if you can find one that references the sales order.

We use this add-on now, you may want to look at it, it works well and handles drop shipments and special order very well

http://www.costcontrolsoftware.com/Direct%20Purchasing.htm

I have seen users do 18 months of testing, and be 110% that the system is perfect, and then find on the day of Go-Live that a core function is either missing, or does not work. There is a very different urgency to testing once the old system is switched off, but whilst the old system is running, most users do expect that Navision will work almost the same as the old system used to, thus they test a few issues, but never the really complex ones.

although I think users do better testing then Microsoft, as evidenced by Nav 4.0, quickly followed by SP1 then SP2 the SP3 and a host of hotfixes.

I agree that user testing is probably weak also, and I am a user, but the reason being is most of the basic functions that are used day to day are tested, it is the really complex items that hardly ever come up that get missed, because it is hard to come up with the senario, ok we did a special order drop ship, and the warehouse shipped the wrong item, but didn’t realize it, inventory was adjusted by other transactions, it is too late to un-ship an item (but wait un-ship of a warehouse shippment has it own bugs), and someone invoiced the sales order, so it is closed,

Its Friday …

And the special order problem is fixed…and heres how.

Navision (god bless it) created a warehouse receipt document…so I deleted it !!!

I then went into the purchase line table unticked the special order boleen removed the special order reference no and line.

Went back to my purchase order released it.

Created a new warehouse receipt … and finally posted the purchase invoice.

A Voila !!!

The perfect end to the week. Inventory reconciled, purchase order gone. Marvellous [Y]

For different reasons here & there sometimes the item ordered will not come in - to delete the sales order I have to break the link to the po.

I guess there are a few ways to do this in the newer versions - for our purposes I had to create a command button called “Clear PO Fields”

OnPush()
IF NOT DIALOG.CONFIRM(Question,TRUE) //Asks if you really want to do this or not
THEN EXIT
ELSE
SalesLine.RESET;
SalesLine.SETRANGE(“Document Type”,“Document Type”);
SalesLine.SETRANGE(“Document No.”,“No.”);
IF SalesLine.FIND(’-’) THEN
REPEAT
IF SalesLine.“Special Order Purchase No.” <> ‘’ THEN
CLEAR(SalesLine.“Special Order Purchase No.”);
CLEAR(SalesLine.“Special Order Purch. Line No.”);
CLEAR(SalesLine.“Purchase Order No.”);
CLEAR(SalesLine.“Purch. Order Line No.”);