Hardware Requirements for commerce portal - Urgent

Hi, Our requirement is for commerce portal. 120 Users, SQL server 2000, windows 2003 Ent. Edition. what should be the hardware configuration we should go ahead with? We are having clustering also. so ideally 2 servers for navision, clustered, 2 X 72GB hard disk for each server, with 4GB RAM. Is this enough. what type of RAID we should go ahead with RAID 1 or RAID 3 or RAID 5? please help me on this. Do we need to split the database in multiple harddisk? Anything else on more I have to take care? Regards M. Ramanath

With the caviat that I have not setup a Navision Portal If you REALLY want performance, multiple sets of mirrored drives, NOT a single pair of mirrored drives. Performance is gained by increasing the number of spindles/drives, not total GB capacity. The idea is to reduce “head contention” at the slowest part of your system…the disk drives. An example follows which uses 7 pairs of mirrored drives (14 drives total): #1 Windows system drive #2 Windows page file #3 Applications #4 SQL log #5 SQL database-part 1 #6 SQL database-part 2 #7 SQL database-part 3 This is an generalized ideal configuration. You will have to evalutate your system, the software, where the drive activity actually occurs, your portal requirements, and any budget limits, to get a better configuration. On a different system and working with the limitations of the hardware at the time, I had 3 drive arrays, all RAID 10 (RAID 1+0). #1,2 and 3 on the 1st array of 3 drives #4 on the 2nd array of 3 drives #5,6 and 7 on the 3rd array of 12 drives (the older version of SQL-server puts the DB in ONE file) This was back when the BIGGEST drives available was 4GB, and those were EXPENSIVE drives, and we had 18 drives on my production server. gud luk Gary