Hard drive configuration

Hello.

I use NAV 4 with Incadea with 80 users, my database have now 170Gb and grows 7Gb/month. I need to increase the storage dimension of my HP MSA1500 (SCSI).
I have problems with the actual hard drive performance. It’s very, very, very slow.

According to this dimensions and for the next 18 months what is the best configuration (to improve the performance) that I can implement in the MSA1500 (Number and capacety for hard the hard drives, what RAID for DB and Logs, etc.)

I would appreciate (very much!) who can help me in this issue.

Best regards,
Hugo Pinto

Hi,

Let say you want storage for next 3 years… so you will need additional 7 * 36 = 252 GB… with existing 170 you will need rounded 500GB storage for database.

MSA1500 conneted on 2GB fiber and SCSI tranfer rate is 320MB… So you will reach max with 2GB/320MB = 6.25 Drives… Round to 8… They will have to be configured to RAID 1+0. So you will see capasity of 4 drives but use speed of 8.

Now take total requared space and devide by 4 drives… 500GB/4= 125 GB per drive (the closest available is 146GB drives)…

So you will need 8 146GB Drives for Database Files… Also you will need 2 146GB drives for log files and 2 drives for system.

Unfortunatelly this will not solve your problem with speed and locking. To make your life better i would recommend to upgrade client to NAV 5.0 SP1.

Hi,

thanks for your detailed and helpful description.

Just two confirmations:

• It’s really better RAID 1+0 for the drives of database?
  • For the log files 4x146Gb drives instead os 2x146Gb can increase performance?

I can’t upgrade to NAV 5.0 because Incadea doesn´t allow it (yet)…

Thanks,