Get a database running on an WinNT 4.0

I have installed NetBios on all machines and the database starts just fine on the NT, but I cannot connect to the database with more than one client at the time, I always get the message that the OS cannot get access to the file, check priv/access - I have full share on the NT. I hope that someone can assist and tell me what’s wrong/missing/I’m doing wrong. Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist me.

How did you start navision on the NT, e.g. which program server,servern,navin etc. and which startparameters did you use? Same question applies to the clients, which program and which parameters? b.r.

On the NT I used the command: server tasks=2,serverno=1,sessions=10,database=c:\navi\database No parameteres used on the clients, just stated Navision and selected the database on drive M (the NT share) one client at a time - no problem.

On the NT I used the command: server tasks=2,serverno=1,sessions=10,database=c:\navi\database No parameteres used on the clients, just stated Navision and selected the database on drive M (the NT share) one client at a time - no problem.

You have to start Navision client with a command like: navin serverno=1,… It’s a client/server technology, isn’t it ? So You connect to the database thru server instead of opening the database directly. Also I wouldn’t recommend to share database directory because of security issues. Best regards, Otto Dreyer NRG Ltd.

The Correct as far as i can tell is (you have to have the WIN32 granule) is SERVERN SERVERNO=1, TASKS=10,SESSIONS=10,DATABASE=C:\WHATEVER,NETTYPE=NETB OR NETTYPE=TCP depending on what type of connect you want to use. On the Client you have to start the program by NAVIN SERVERNO=1, NETTYPE=NETB/TCP, ID=USERXX Remenber that if you uses TCP you have to on the client modify the HOSTS file. Palle Arentoft, Team Manager Aston Naviteam A/S Denmark Email : par@astonitgroup.com

Hi, You say it is a client/server arquitechture, so you don’t need to share the database directory. But I’m afraid thas no true, because if you don’t have permissions to read/write the database file, Navi 3.56 will not work (I think). I had to set full control to all users in the database file to use Navi in NT 4. Regards, Carlos Adrián Martínez mailto:nvision@correo.interlink.es

Of course there’s no need to share database, there’s even no need for Navision users to windows-login to server running Navision server.