General Journal Entries - Don't want Document Number to change each time the entry is in balance

Hello:

How can I change the settings in Navision so that the document number does not automatically increase one increment each time the entry is in balance?

Thank you.

Oz

NAV does increase the docNo when the lines balance at 0 and you insert a new line at the bottom.

There is no parameter, no check-mark - you have to change this in table 81, function SetUpNewLine:

IF BottomLine AND
(Balance - LastGenJnlLine.“Balance (LCY)” = 0) AND
NOT LastGenJnlLine.EmptyLine
THEN
“Document No.” := INCSTR(“Document No.”);

If you do not know how to change this, then don’t; have some professional to change it.

Thank you very much for the detailed response Anfinnur. It is greatly appreciated. I do not know how to change it unfortunately. I will see if someone in IT can help me with this. Have a nice day!!

Anfinnur:

Also, before we make this change, is there also a way to repeat the prior line’s description for every general journal entry line? Right now the description automatically pops up as the selected account’s name.

Thank you.

Oz

But why do you do not want to increment the document no. even if it is balanced.

Hello Manish.

I am new with this company and they prefer each general journal entry to have one document number and one description. Entries are usually long ones. So every time they balance I have to copy the document number above with F8 and with every line I need to copy the description from above with an F8. I would love to get around this, if possible.

Thank you.

Oz

It may be done in the same area of the code.

But another (manual) way is to press F8 which copies the value from the line above.

Sorry, just saw that you know the F8… [:$]

OK.

Once the old long entry has been posted with say DOC-001 into the system, and you are creating a new entry then what should be the doc no.

The next number in the sequence.

No problem at all :slight_smile: I really appreciate your time. I will follow up on your earlier solution once I can get someone to implement it for me.

Oz

Hey Ozlem,

Did you find a solution to your problem.

Hello Manish.

Thank you for checking on this and my apologies for the delayed response. Our support rep at Trinsoft told me that the table that involves this would be negatively impacted if I were to use the suggested code. So we left it at that. We are just using F8 each time to copy the document number down. I believe I am going to discontinue this process that was set by my predecessor who passed away unexpectedly because I do not see any benefit in continuing it.

I have another question in the meantime though! I want to analyze an expense account for each month. I would like to run a comparative report that lists what the expense was each month for a year and throw it into excel. What would be the easiest and quickest way of doing this? As you can tell I am new to Nav.

Thank you.

Oz

Hello Manish.

Thank you for checking on this and my apologies for the delayed response. Our support rep at Trinsoft told me that the table that involves this would be negatively impacted if I were to use the suggested code. So we left it at that. We are just using F8 each time to copy the document number down. I believe I am going to discontinue this process that was set by my predecessor who passed away unexpectedly because I do not see any benefit in continuing it.

I have another question in the meantime though! I want to analyze an expense account for each month. I would like to run a comparative report that lists what the expense was each month for a year and throw it into excel. What would be the easiest and quickest way of doing this? As you can tell I am new to Nav.

Thank you.

Oz

For me its Account Schedule will be fine.

You can do it any way you want.