Garment matrix?

Hello folks, My client currently is in garment business and what they need to be able see the current inventory stock in more details such as dept, articles, classes, pattern, colors and sizes. I was thinking to use dimension because in GL, I can put 8 dimension to do this. Is this the way to go? some people suggested me using matrix. I am not sure what they are talking about. Thanks, Tony

I wouldn’t use dimensions in this way with inventory. Navision does not respect dimension when applying item ledger entries. That is, if you have a positive item ledger entry with a dimension value of blue for color then it is possible (in fact likely) that negative entries with different color values will be applied against that positive entry.

Further to what Jack says, just the performance overload of Dimensions is enough reason to rule it out as an option. Matrix is probably the AddOn that Erik Earnst developed, but I’m not sure if he is int he AddOn business these days, and don’t think it got moved to 3.10. Either way you will need to do mods to make this work. There are other AddOns available, or you can develop something yourself. Give some deatials of volumes, and what level of reporting you are after, and I am sure a solution can be found that is not too complex.

quote:

Further to what Jack says, just the performance overload of Dimensions is enough reason to rule it out as an option. Matrix is probably the AddOn that Erik Earnst developed, but I’m not sure if he is int he AddOn business these days, and don’t think it got moved to 3.10. Either way you will need to do mods to make this work. There are other AddOns available, or you can develop something yourself. Give some deatials of volumes, and what level of reporting you are after, and I am sure a solution can be found that is not too complex.
Originally posted by David Singleton - 2005 Jun 16 : 16:25:28

What about Pebblestone solution? Anna

The Pebble stone solution is fine but its a pretty big thing, its definitely worth taking a look at. I have never implemented the system myself, but have heard good things from those that have. Really it depends on what your needs are. Erik’s system was simple, and works well, its also very easy to modify, and if size color etc are all you need, then its an ideal solution. pebble stone goes much much further, and if thats what your client needs, then it is a good path. At the minimum, contact willie and get a demo. I personally likes the completeness of the product, but it was generally too much for the clients that I had at the time.

I am not sure what it meant by overloads the dimension… However, how do i get hold on Erik’s solution? sounds like what I need. Perhaps email him directly? What’s his email address? Pebblestone’s solution is big and expensive so for now, it’s out of reach. I’d rather develop a simpler and less expensive solution. -Tony

quote:

The Pebble stone solution is fine but its a pretty big thing, its definitely worth taking a look at. I have never implemented the system myself, but have heard good things from those that have. Really it depends on what your needs are. Erik’s system was simple, and works well, its also very easy to modify, and if size color etc are all you need, then its an ideal solution. pebble stone goes much much further, and if thats what your client needs, then it is a good path. At the minimum, contact willie and get a demo. I personally likes the completeness of the product, but it was generally too much for the clients that I had at the time.
Originally posted by David Singleton - 2005 Jun 16 : 17:06:46

Erik is the webmaster of this site [B)] I am not sre though if he has this as an add on, and can’t speak on his behalf. Dimensions are designed for financial reporting, and using them here would not solve your problems. You really need to find out your clients futre needs, since they maybe need a vertical, and not an Add-On. (Peblestone is a vertical, and the Size color atributes is an Add-On).