funky date req for end-of-year

I’ve had to specify 1/1/xx as the to or end date for some of my reports to get all the 12/31 entries. This is very bothersome to me as I don’t understand why these 12/31 entries are not captured with a 12/31 end date. And worse…I’m sure the auditors will not be pleased…I’m not. Is there a “fix” for this problem, or is there something that I need to do differently. I’m running 3.10a executables on a 2.6 db. thanks much Gary

Your issue is, most probably, caused by Closing Dates. A Closing Date is indicated by a C just before the date, as in C2004-08-17 (European date format woo-hoo! [:p][:D]) In this example, the Closing Date will be sorted by the program after 2004-08-17 but before 2004-08-18. It is between two other Normal Dates. In your case, if there are transactions posted on Cxxxx-12-31, they will not be considered with a filter of xxxx-01-01…xxxx-12-31. Drill down on the entries and check that Closing Dates are really the cause of the problem. If so, all you need to do is change the way you usually filter.

AH HA…THAT’S IT !!! Thanks Nelson, I was going nuts trying to figure this out. BTW the European date format that drove me nuts is dd-mm-yy, for example 01-05-04, for 1-May-2004, becuase it is VERY easily confused with the US format of mm-dd-yy where we would read it Jan-5-2004. When I worked for SAP (a German company) I would have to deal with BOTH formats, and sometimes it got VERY confusing. Like when I read a date from an American in Germany, or a German in the US, then I really would not know which format he was using; US or European date format. The only clue was if one number was higher than 12, then that “must be” the day, and the other by elimination was the month. Gary

Yes, it does get rather confusing if you have an interest on a date but you don’t know the format it is in. Surfing a new web site usually results on looking around for some date with a day exceeding 12 until the used format can be figured out. But I think yyyy-mm-dd is far superior to either of those formats. For example, if you use this format for naming some files, they will get date-ordered.

Many years ago (won’t say how many :slight_smile: I used that format yyyymmdd in some of my programs for just the reason you mentioned, easy to sort. Of course the guys that did not know for format we always confused when they tried to read it. Funny how people want the date in THEIR format, and won’t adapt to others. Gary