Fixed Assets and Short Years

How does Navision recognize short years in Fixed Assets? Or does it? Will I need to manually calculate all the assets for my short year companies and make journal entries? Technical support couldn’t help me, they don’t have any documentation on short years. Thank you.

I am not a Fixed Assets expert nor am I an accountant, but I will offer a possibility anyway (in other words, optimism overcame common sense). In the routine to calculate depreciation, on the Options tab, there is a field called “Use Force No. of Days” followed by a field “Force No. of Days”. The Help for the latter field says: Enter a number here if you want the program to use this number of days in the depreciation calculation. (You must also place a check mark in the field above.) I would read that to conclude that through these control fields you could calculate depreciation for any length of time that you wanted. Perhaps this would help you?

You can also set the depreciation starting date on the FA-card to start f.ex. 11/11/2002, and the first depriciation posted will be from 11/11/2002 to the date specified when you Calculate Depriciation (FA posting date/Posting date)

Could you explain “short years”. Is it a technical term with any particular meaning or do we understand it to be a period less than a year?

I’m sorry, yes,I’m referring to a period of less than a twelve month year. Thank you.

quote:

Originally posted by rohkam
Could you explain “short years”. Is it a technical term with any particular meaning or do we understand it to be a period less than a year?

Yes. The depreciation for the fixed assets could be run for any period of time, the least being one day. The depreciaion is calculated from the last calculated depreciaton day (if calculating for the first time - from the depreciation starting date mentioned in the asset card) upto the day mentioned in the “Calculate Depreciation” batch job.