Fiscal Year 2016 closed by mistake!

Hi,

I have an issue with a customer who has closed the fiscal year 2016 by mistake.All accounting periods are now closed.

He’s using NAV 2013

1. Is there any way to reopen them?

2. If not, what effects will this have in the following months ?Any problem with the inventory or depreciation or others…

Please, any advice is appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Uaja

Uaja
Did it let the customer close the last accounting year in the list? You say all accounting periods are closed but Nav does not allow this unless there is an open year.
Only way to re-open involves some coding and is not something an end user can do. As far as I am aware.
Neil

Hi Neil,
Thanks for your reply.
The current period is closed and 2017 fiscal year is not opened.
A few years ago, we have had a similar situation in NAV 2009 and nothing happened.
But , I am not sure if in NAV 2013 , closing the current period has any restrictions or effects on daily activities or processes

thanks,

Accounting period functionality in NAV has always been in embryonic stage - on one hand, it is present, on the another, it’s practically useless. Except that one page and table underneath it the AccPeriods are not used elsewhere.
Normally for one fiscal year there should be 14 periods - 12 months, year-closing period and audit period (or 4 quarters, or 2 half-years, but the last two remain always). Then, every GL entry should have a field where to enter Accounting period it refers to, but in NAV this reference is determined by Posting Date instead. Year closing is squeezed into such approach by this special C-date, but there is no way to add audit-related corrections and clearly distinguish those from other entries.

All that said, you may not worry about your situation - NAV works flawlessly even without any AccPeriods defined at all (except one case - it wouldn’t let you generate FY closing entries, and only because this batch job checks if FY in question is marked as “closed”), and this prematurely closed FY does not impact anything during the year. As accidentally closed FY is the current year, you will even be able to generate closing entries, when the time comes.

Yes Modris you are right. But not in that he should worry or not do anything.

Because something else happens. If you create a post in a closed period, then the g/l entry is marked as “Prior-Year Entry” (field 30). It’s one of the “hidden” functions auditors have to check/see all these typical year end postings.

So it still needs to be fixed. And this mark removed where set wrongly.
As Neil said, its something a senior developer, or a very technical skilled senior consultant must do (from the Development Environment with a partner license).

@Erik,
I know about this PriorYearEntry :slight_smile: BUT - in 16 years with NAV I have NEVER seen anybody checking this, that for I didn’t mention it in my answer.
Where you are correct, is that if user wants a “clean” system, it should be fixed - I know how to do that w/o Partner license, but I will NOT write it in USER forum, because it’s dangerous - many people read this, and not many of them have our level of understanding NAV inner structures.

@Uaja,
You must decide, how significant for you is to have a “clean” system, and is it worth the expenses - as Erik said, it can be done, but not fixing the situation will still not affect the everyday use.

And you’re right again [mention:969ff862e5c648c2b4868e360f67479e:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] - in my 25 years working with NAV I have only met one user (an auditor) who actually knew and used this functionality. But it’s there, and as I learned when 30 years ago was in intern in an accounting department for 2 years, then when it comes to accounting then it’s always “Ordnung muss sein”. [:)]

As far as I remember then the accounting period table is “protected” like g/l entries etc., and therefor requires full license to allow you to run and change directly? If that’s not the case, then you’re right, then it could be done without it. Still nothing an user should know how to do. If it happens by a mistake once, then it typically doesn’t happen again with that user.

And [mention:c91e18283bde4282bfc64fc94721d846:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] - you work for a partner, so get one of your NAV developers to look at it. If he/she has done it before, then it only takes about 30 minutes - 1 hour (incl. registering time in the billing system). So its nothing major. My guess is that you’ve already spent more time on just checking it, trying yourself and writing about it here (not to say the time spent by Neil, Modris and myself also used - in the name of helping others to become better at using NAV).

But present the options to the user. I’m sure that they know they “screwed up” and would like it to be fixed.