Filters question

Hi all, I was wondering if theres a chance to set some filters (not visible to the user, like filtergroup(2) or smth), when starting a session, on several tables that would remain set throughout the hole session, without having to set them on each OnOpen form trigger. Well, is there ?[8)] I know theres FILTERGROUP(1), but the docs say it might be used in the future. I`m using 3.60 w sql server

Have a look in the forum at the extended possibilities of “user rolls”. I think that there was something like you are looking for …

I don`t seem to find that topic. Could you be a little more specific please ?

quote:

Originally posted by eueu_99_99
I don`t seem to find that topic. Could you be a little more specific please ?

try a search for ‘security filter’ bye André

Come on, man! Put your had into it![:)] If I search ‘security filters’ Ill find my own topics.[:p] I think I posted a few in the past... If youll read them youll find out why Im interested in doing this in C/AL: because the security filters dont work. Its a bug (I allready reported it to microsoft - I think Ill never get to see it corrected). Its like a vicious circle. A pretty funny one (come to think of it)[:D]

Hi Sorry for my ignorance [:p]. But then I’m not able to lead you in the right direction. bye André

Hi Gigi, then lets think what is to do : you want to have a list similar to : UserId TableId RangeAllowed This is an easy task ! Lets call the Table : UserSecFilter Now you want to restrict every view of the user to the RangeAllowed Value. In my version of Nav 2.01, i can only say that there is to modify every OnOpen trigger of the form and also some modifying of reports,Dataports, codeunits … It is a complex thing and I think it is not worth to do. Perhaps someone know a correction to the system in Nav 3.7 ???

I had the same ideea and started implementing it until I realised how many forms and other objects I had to modify.[xx(] I agree, it aint worth it. That is why I asked if theres any other way. It seems there isnt.[V] But does anybody know if that FILTERGROUP(1) works in 3.7 ? To iammicky: although the option (security filters) is available in 3.7 (you can define filters) it doesnt seem to work for Navision DB. I dont know if it was suppose to [:D]. Ill try it for sql server option too (out of curiosity) and keep you up to date [;)]

Gigi, Why do you keep refering to FILTERGROUP(1)? What does it represent? As for the Security Filters issue, this is an extract from the C/SIDE Reference Guide:

quote:

Security Filters The SQL Server Option for Navision allows you to limit the access that individual users have to the data contained in the database. This is done by assigning a role or roles to each user. These roles specify that the user only has access to certain objects in the database. In this way you can stipulate that the user can only access the data that is contained in certain tables and whether the user can read, modify or enter data in these tables. However, this may not be detailed enough for your organization and your security system might need to be even more refined. Navision allows you to refine these roles even further by applying security filters specifying that the user is only allowed to access specific records in the table. Security filters can be used to prevent unauthorized users from gaining access to sensitive information. You can limit the user’s access to, for example, particular accounts, accounting periods, dimensions or to information that concerns particular customers or vendors.

Nelson, Im not a buyer! I know what the docs say, but Im more interested in what Navision CAN do![;)] The security filters that youre talking about dont work. Its a BUG. FILTERGROUP(1) - as I read in the docs - is some kind of GLOBAL group of filters. Unfortunately this doesnt work either (yet-they say).

You can only say that security filters have a bug when you try them in MS SQL Server and they don’t work, right? [;)][:D] As for FILTERGROUP, excuse me for saying that you look somewhat confused. If you read the Online Help, you know that there 256 (0-255) different Groups. Of these 256, 7 (0-6) are used by Navision-HQ on the client interface and on the standard programming. You are free to use any of the 256 Groups, but if you want to use Groups 0-6, be careful and be sure about what you are doing. The name Global for Group 1 doesn’t mean that it is supposed to work throughout the whole application. In fact, Group 1 is not even used by Navision. They only say that it is reserved for future use. The same happens with Group 5 Temp.

Come on Nelson! Did you read the hole topic before posting a reply ? I know that security filters dont work because I tried it in the past several times. Actually, I just received confirmation today that a HF will be released this month (or in the near future anyway) for this bug. As for the filtergroup(1) I know it is not used (i said it in the beginning) and Im just guessing what it could be used for, I never said Im gonna use it (its not used by navision anyway).So, instead of correcting and contradicting me, are you able to post a solution to my problem ? This is what this forum is all about, right? Thank you in advance

Then what were you saying when you posted this?

quote:

Originally posted by Gigi Duru (eueu_99_99)
To iammicky: although the option (security filters) is available in 3.7 (you can define filters) it doesnt seem to work for Navision DB. I dont know if it was suppose to [:D]. I`ll try it for sql server option too (out of curiosity) and keep you up to date [;)]

To Nelson: First of all, I said the bug is in 3.60 w sql option (thats what I use) and when iammicky asked if theres a correction in 3.70 I said what u quoted… I dont have the docs for 3.70 [:(], that is why I dont know if it was supposed to work on Navision DB in 3.7. You should read the topic veeeeery carefuly, from the beginning till the end. Maybe this could give you a clue on my problem and on this topic. [;)] If you cand help, youre more then wellcomed,[^] if not... lets not make this a long topic for no reason.[V]

I withdraw myself from posting anything else. Goodbye and best regards.

quote:

Originally posted by eueu_99_99
Come on Nelson! Did you read the hole topic before posting a reply ? […] So, instead of correcting and contradicting me, are you able to post a solution to my problem ? This is what this forum is all about, right?

I - and probably others as well - have been following this thread with ever increasing astonishment. Gigi, would you walk up to someone in person, ask them a question, then call them a fool for not immediately comprehending your question in full detail, and still expect a polite and useful answer? Well, I guess not - at least not unless you are the boss of the person you asked, which is definitely not the case in this forum. The answer to your last question is a clear “NO”. Nobody here gets paid to participate and answer questions. It’s a community of peers sharing knowledge and helping each other. It’s not a service provided by some and consumed by others. PS: The smileys are for resolving ambiguities and expressing emotions. They are not a substitute for good manners.

this topic is silly, if you don’t want help don’t ask questions. Sorry guys I should have closed this earlier but I have been away. Thanks you guys for not getting on a plane to romania with knives and ropes.[:D] Gigi, its fine to ask for help, but if you don’t like the product, either stop selling it, or complain to microsoft.