Fetch excel file through NAS

Hello,

I implemented many projects through NAS. Recently I got surprised when I integrated NAS with excel file. The details of the project is given below,

We have to read some auto generated excel file through NAS by a scheduler. We installed NAS in Windows Server 2008 R2. Excel file reading code was written in a codeunit. While we call the codeunit, it reads the excel file from a particular location and writes in a particular table. We followed these three scenario.

i. We developed a manual button and called the codeunit behind the button.

Result: Data from the excel file was fetched and written in the NAV table perfectly.

ii. We called the codeunit from a timer and attached the timer at CompanyOpen Trigger. Set the timer for a particular time, by coding.

Result: Data from the excel file was fetched and written in the NAV table perfectly as per the time set in timer.

iii. We called the codeunit from a timer and attached the timer with NAS. Set the timer for a particular time, by coding.

Result: NAS is not able to fetch the excel file. I checked the process and followed that the function was called perfectly. problem appeared while calling excel file.

iv. I creted an exe of same function in dot net application.

Result: It worked fine when I ran it manually. Problem of excel fetching appeared when I attached it with SQL Server scheduler.

I tested my all applications in Windows Server 2008. I went through many posts where it was mentioned that NAS cannot fetch Excel file if it runs in Windows Server 2008. Is it true? If no then where is my fault? If yes is there any solution to overcome the problem?

Thanks in advance for your valuable reply

I am requesting for any help please.

When you did your manual test, did you test it from the same location as your NAS is installed or did you do your manual test on your local pc?

What you have to remember is in order to use the Excel import/export tools in NAV, then Excel needs to be installed on the Windows Server 2008, something you normally wouldn’t do. But in this case, then Excel needs to be installed on the same server as your NAS.

Yes I had done it from the same machine and excel is installed there. The same is working perfectly at Windows Server 2003 32 bit. I am just discussing whether Office works perfectly with NAS. It is better if somebody has hands-on experience with such work.

Thanks,

Pralay

someone told me, the nav timer must be called by the same Login of nav timer event creator.

Please check the Windows Event Log, if anything fails with the NAS, it is logged there.

This might be a permission related issue like user running the NAS has no access rights to the file, NAS user has no rights to delete the file (when you delete it after import) or NAV user does not have “INSERT/MODIFY” permissions to the table it tries writing to.