FEFO is picking from GOODS_OUT location

Hello,

We are using Nav 2013 R2 with lot tracking and FEFO picking enabled. One behavior we have noticed is that when performing a pick, if any item with shorter expiry is in the GOODS_OUT or GOODS_IN bin, it will be considered in the pick but not show up in the “Qty Picked” total.

This results in an incomplete pick which leads to incomplete invoices and missed deliveries. The solution from our partner was to have the warehouse people always make sure these bins were empty before doing any pick, but this is not always possible or practical due to the high volume of movements.

Is there anyway to tell NAV to ignore these 2 bins when performing a pick?

Thanks.

By “GOODS_OUT” and “GOODS_IN”, I assume you mean the “Shipment” and “Receive” bins? In that case I would check the “Bin Type” assigned to these bins. Is it one that does not allow picking?

Remember if you change it, you will also need to change it on all associated records.

Yes, I did mean the Shipment and Receive bins that are defined for the location (bin mandatory but no directed pick or put-away), I think they call it “Type 5” (GREEN + Bin Mandatory) in the warehouse setup tutorial.

These 2 bins do not have any ‘bin type’ associated with them, from what I’ve read this code only affects WMS locations, so I’m not sure adding a type would change anything here. Can someone confirm?

Are you using Warehouse Shipment documents? Thus creating picks from those.

Yes, we are creating warehouse shipments and getting all source documents from SOs. Then we are creating a pick from the shipment, this is when the issue is happening (the pick is deducting the qty from the GOODS_OUT bin).

Does this happen for all items or only those that support FEFO picking?

All items have Lot Tracking (LOTALL) enabled and are picked by FEFO. It only happens when we pick an item that already has quantity in either the Shipment or Receiving bin.

An item can be lot tracked and still not support FEFO. FEFO (First Expire - First Out) is based on the lot’s expiration date. If there are items that don’t track expiration dates, then they are logically not supported by FEFO.

Are the quantities in the Shipment bin not already associated with other shipments?

Oh ok, I thought expiration date was a mandatory field when lot tracking was enabled… we have expirations on all our items since we are a food company.

For the associations it’s possible that someone has registered the pick but didn’t post the shipment, or that a sales returned was received but not put-away.

I also work extensively with food companies. But I’d have to say that some seem more concerned with traceability than others. Sometimes it can take that first major recall for some to “see the light”.

The customers I work with tend to be at the extreme ends of the “bin controlled” scenarios. Either very basic with just “bin mandatory” and completely manual picking. Possibly with the system making “suggestions”. The other extreme being those operations using fully system controlled “Directed Picking”. I’ve not seen a lot of the scenario you describe.

I’ve done a bit of poking around, and so far I’m not seeing any place the pick creation explicitly skips those bins in your scenario. You might need to look into how directed picking handles this and adapt. Of course I could be completely overlooking something.

Thanks for your help, our concern is that the pick is scanning those bins while evaluating the FEFO, then deciding not to include the results in the pick therefore skipping the quantity.

Our partners have suggested adding a customization to exclude looking at these 2 bins while performing a pick, which is fine with us. I will update once we have tested the scenario.