Exporting objects into seperate text files

Because changes are made so easily in Navision, I want to use a source code control system (Perforce) which we already use for all other kinds of developments, such as software and documents. How can I export all objects into text files, where each object gets its own text file. E.g. Table 5050 Contact will be exported to a file called, for example, Table5050.txt. Thanks for any help or suggestions. Jeroen j.schuyt@bergson.nl

You gotta export them as one file and then split them up afterwords. Navision used to include a small tool to do this with their old compare tool. But I cannot find it anymore. Maybe someone else has it!

The Compare Tool was included until version 2.6, it’s a simple fob (200k) with a couple of objects that have the functionality you require. I am not sure if this will still work with Attain, on the other hand I see no reason why it shouldn’t. As Erik points out, you export all changes objects first as one single txt file and then split it up into the seperate objects. Drop me a mail if you want to me send the objects (n.michaelis@gmx.net) Saludos Nils

Nils, starting with V 3.xx there is a new tools cd for each product release which contains also the compare tool (at least here in Germany) [:)] Torsten

quote:

Originally posted by nilsm
The Compare Tool was included until version 2.6, it’s a simple fob (200k) with a couple of objects that have the functionality you Nils

Hi, What can be done quite easily is to export the objects from Navision to a text file. Import this file into the Navision Developers Toolkit. From the Navision Developers Toolkit you can export the file but then you get a choice as to exporting all the objects to one file or exporting one file per object. Good Luck

According to his profil he is an End-User. Therefore no-go without a license containing the NDT granules and I don’t think they’d like to spend that much money for this… Torsten

quote:

Originally posted by rchurchillqpr
Hi, What can be done quite easily is to export the objects from Navision to a text file. Import this file into the Navision Developers Toolkit. From the Navision Developers Toolkit you can export the file but then you get a choice as to exporting all the objects to one file or exporting one file per object. Good Luck

Hi Torsten, Good point you made there. I didn’t think of the end-user implications. Robin

Hi folks, thanks for the info, you mention that the NDT comes on an additional CD to the normal product CD - therefore I haven’t got any clue about this tool yet as I only have the normal product CD with the Upgrade Toolkit… would it be possible if anybody could send me a copy of that NDT - if it isn’t too big… [:p] (n.michaelis@gmx.net)… Thanks a lot Nils

I don’t think You will have much use of the Developers Toolikt since it requires a developers license file to run Rgds //Lars

Hi guys, First, thanks for all help (so far). In fact, one of my problems is that I am a end-user (but with developer’s questions, probably) and thus I have no developer license. My greatest problem now is, getting the global export to work because I have no read-rights for all objects. It is of no use to manually select those objects for which I have read access. Does anyone have an idea if there are possibilities by writing the objects to text file via C/AL? Other question: how are you guys keeping track of changes especially in a multi developer environment? Within our company (developing technical software), this is a very very important issues. Again, thanks for help or suggestions. Jeroen j.schuyt@bergson.nl