Expanding Serial No. Field

I’ve got to expand a field called Serial No. which appears at Sales Lines, Item Ledger Entry level, etc,etc … I need to expand this field throughout the entire system from Code 20 to Code 80. Has anyone done such a thing ? What are the problems (if any) that you’ve encountered ? tarek_demiati@ureach.com

The problem is to find everywhere to change, not only field definition. You have to change all variabels used in function. The best way to do this is to use Impulse Workbench. The worst who can happen is that the system stop with a spill owerflow error. Per.Bay@navigera.com Product Manager www.navigera.com

This is an ongoing issue in Navision. If you don’t have the Impulse workbench, you can export out the entire databases objects as text and do a search for the Serial No. field. After making your changes, import the text back into Navision. Don’t forget to recompile the objects! Then, place an order into the system and post it. Makes sure to do this on both the Sales & Purchase side. Hope this helps. Bill Benefiel Manager of Information Systems Overhead Door Company billb@ohdindy.com (317) 842-7444 ext 117

I have done something similar for demos, where I have created a report that searches the entire databse for fields that are equal to . This then shows the table name,Table ID, Field Name, Field ID. I know that this does not show the variables etc, but it does effect the field names on the forms. It did the job !!

Why make things so complicated?

Field.SETRANGE(FieldName,'Serial No.');
IF Field.FIND('-') THEN REPEAT
  Field.Len := 80;
  Field.MODIFY;
UNTIL Field.NEXT = 0;

Where Field is the virtual table 2000000041 Field. I guess that would be the quickest and easiest way. Soren Nielsen, moderator Integration/Developer NOLUG

I think Per gives us the reason things must be complicated. If you only change the tables, the variables are missed and you can get a field overflow error. Not very a professional solution. For example, look at the functionality in Codeunit 400 for Reservations. This will Error all over the place with a Serial Number greater than 20 characters. Chris Krantz NCSD,NCSQL,MCSD,MCSE Microforum Inc. Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks Chris for the input. But of course you will have to take care of the instantiated variables yourself! This was just the fastest way to change field lengths in Navision i wanted to show you guys. So keep dreaming about a complete data-dictionary for Navision :-). Soren Nielsen, moderator Integration/Developer NOLUG

Ok this topic hit its conclusions. So if you have a solution/tool for this issue please feel free to post it. Soren Nielsen, moderator Integration/Developer NOLUG