Expanding a Navision 3.70 Database

Hi, our navision 3.70 db is on 16 disks (every disk is 8 GB). Every fdb file is 4 GB. So we have a 64 GB navision own database. We want to expand to 128 GB. What is the right way to do? Must I stop the navision server service and then start the navision client locally on server and expand every fdb file expand to 8 GB? Or can I expand during my users are working with navision? Steps? When I stop on the navision server the service what must I than fill in the navision client dialog to open the database locally on the navision server? Thanks

Topic moved to Navision Technical Issues. Please specify a more useful Subject - using the same Subject for three different topics makes other members think it’s the same topic.

Here is some helpful info: Rebuilding the list of free blocks is done by closing and reopening the database, i.e. Stopping and restarting Navision Server service if you run in client-server mode, or Closing and restarting Navision Client if you perform this task in a single client environment Scenarios: 1. Creating a new database and restoring data. 2. Expanding existing parts of a database 3. Expanding using existing and newly created parts of a database 4. Fixing a ‘non optimized’ database. 1. Creating a new database and restoring data If you create a new database that is spread over several disks, you must close and reopen the database before restoring data. This will recover the ‘List of Free Blocks’ and the restored data will be equally spread over all disks, thus securing the optimal performance. To spread the data equally over the new database, you must follow these steps: Create a new database and expand it with database parts of the same size Close and reopen the database (rebuild ‘List of Free Blocks’) Restore the backup. 2. Expanding existing parts of a database If you expand existing parts of a database that is spread over several disks, you must close and reopen the database before using it again. This will update the ‘List of Free Blocks’ and secure the optimal performance. Expand all database parts with the same size Close and reopen the database (rebuild ‘List of Free Blocks’). 3. Expanding using existing and newly created parts of a database If you expand a database by one or more new database parts on new disk(s), you should follow the correct procedure (D). If you haven’t done so, you must at least close and reopen the database so that Navision recognizes the new disk(s) and starts using it . If you don’t close/reopen, it will continue to use the old ‘List of Free Blocks’ and will take some time before the list wraps around and starts using the new disk(s). The database is now ‘non optimized’, because data is not spread equally over the disks. Procedure (D) tells you how to fully optimize the database. 4. Fixing a ‘non optimized’ database To spread the data equally over all parts of a database, follow these steps: a. Make a Navision backup b. Delete the database c. Create a new database with the required parts of the old database d. Close and reopen the database (rebuild ‘List of Free Blocks’) e. Restore the backup. This procedure is the optimal way of adding a new database part, but it is also the most time consuming.