Expand Database

I get a message “There is no more available space on the disk/diskette.” However, I know the server has space. The server is NT and have Navision 2.01b

When do you get this message, while you are working with NF or when you make a backup, or - because of your topic - when you restore your database? Michael Edited by - Quasimodo on 2002 May 06 23:18:12

Navision has a DB-Part size-limitation. Do increase your entire database create a another db-part. Menu: file ->-database->expand. best regards, theobald tiger

quote:

Originally posted by David Garrett: I get a message “There is no more available space on the disk/diskette.” However, I know the server has space. The server is NT and have Navision 2.01b

Hello David, If you are doing a restore, you might want to check to see what additional tempspace is being used on the disk. The Navision database plus the tempspace being used during the restore may exceed the disk size. Please could you expand on what you are trying to do when you are getting the error message? -------------------------------- Edward Bloomfield Navision Support Consultant Cambridge Online Systems Limited www.cambridgeonline.net

Hi David, there are so many areas of Navision that could generate this error. Edward said it, and I will re-itterate it. If you need help on this site, you raelly need to tell us what the problem is. The message you show generally means that you have insufficient disk space. I think that is clear. The question is “what did you do to use up all the space”. Commonly this could be from expanding the database, or printing a very large report. Even running a process that uses temporary variables could cause the error. In addition, is it a shortage of server disk space, or of client disk space. Many people post questions on this site with the belief that every one knows what they are doing. Please tell us more, and someone will answer. To use an analogy, you have asked “I am lost, I can see a MacDonalds on my left, and there is a gas station on my right, please tell me which way to turn to get home.” _________________________ David Singleton Navision Consultant since 1991 dmks22@comcast.net___________

Back when I was an active Navision developer, I had a client who called me after getting this error message. He told me how big his hard drive was, and it was plenty big— but after some prodding he finally told me that he (or, more accurately, his son who was away at college) had subdivided it into many relatively small partititions. The partitition he had his Navision DB in was only 500MB, i.e., much too small. I told him how to create a second physical file, and he was (reasonably) happy. ------- Tim Horrigan horrigan@aol.com

Navision Financials 2.01 is only able to handle *.fdb-files with max 2GB. So if you want to expand your databse you have to use the [File],[Database],[Expand],[Advanced] Option. With this you can create a second, third, forth … *.fdb file as a part of your database.