Error Installing Navision 2.60.B onto Server 2003

Presently we have the Navision Financials 2.60.B client running on the Windows 2003 Server and the Navision Financials 2.60.B W1 server running on a Windows 2000 Server. We are retiring the Windows 2000 Server and want to install Navision Financials 2.60.B W1 server onto the Windows 2003 Server. While installing W1 onto the 2003 Server, the following error message appears: (Title) Navision Server W1 2.60.B Installer Information (Message) “Error 1920.Service Navision Server TERMSERV (TERMSERV) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges and start the system services.” I am logged on with the administrator account. Any suggestions?

Check to see if the account under which Navision Server’s Service is starting has permissions to access the database file.

Nelson, thank you for offering your assistance, but Administrators have full control security privledges, as do users. I didn’t expect security permissions on the database to have an impact on a system service. I have gone into services when I receive this error and tried to start the service, but I get an “Invalid Function” error. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Hmm, I’m not sure if my point got across. I will insist, don’t get upset… [;)] Open Services.msc from Control Panel’s Administrative Tools, go into the properties for Navision Database Server and check the Log On tab. You will see which credentials the server is running on. Then check whether these credentials have full access to the folder where the database file resides. Furthermore, you can try starting the Server from the command line using the server.exe executable located in the Database Server’s installation folder. You usually get error messages which are much more descriptive. Post back if this doesn’t help.

During install, when I get this message: (Title) Navision Server W1 2.60.B Installer Information (Message) “Error 1920.Service Navision Server TERMSERV (TERMSERV) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges and start the system services.” I go to services.msc and see that the service “Navision Server TERMSERV” has been created. Local system, or with the logon properties populated with the Administrator account yield the same error. I try to start the service, but receive an error: (Title) Services (Message) Could not start the Navision Server TERMSERV service on local computer. Error 1: Incorrect Function. I go to C:\Program Files\Navision Server and run server.exe; this is what I get: Database server for Financials version 2.60.B (Build 5709) Copyright (c) 1987-2000 Navision Software a/s Starting database server TERMSERV … Cache(Kb)…: 1000000 CommitCache…: Yes Maximum sessions…: 2 Maximum database(Mb): 100 NetType…: tcp Database…: D:\NAVDATA\Ceres120.fdb Licensed to…: CRONUS International Ltd. John Roberts 5 The Ring Westminster W2 8HG London World Wide 1 0666-666-6666 „Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ The operating system returned the error (87): The parameter is incorrect. „Ÿ„Ÿ„ŸPress any key„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ„Ÿ The database file resides at D:\NAVDATA\Ceres120.fdb, and I have full permission to it.

Reduce the cache, try using 750MB. The documentation says 1GB is the maximum but this usually doesn’t work, sorry.

That worked!!! By default, it wanted 1380864, but I changed it to 524288 (512MB) since there will never be more then two concurrent users.

No problem. A word of warning for the future, then. Since you will only have 2 concurrent users at any time, it is possible you will experience long startup times when the first client connects to the server (in the morning, for example). This is because Navision has to take control over 512MB of memory. The Navision client will appear as Not Responding while the server performs this operation. If this does happen to you - and based on your number of users - you can reduce the cache size even further. There should be no performance hit and the startup time will be faster.

A security note: The LocalSystem account is all-powerful without any constraints. Avoid using it for running services that do not need the permissions of LocalSystem. Choose instead either the Builtin\LocalService account or Builtin\NetworkService account (the latter only if network resources are needed by the service). Alternatively use a User account with very string password but this has more administrative overhead. Then give the appropriate file system permissions to these accounts in order for the services to do their work; in this case give write access to the database file(s) for navision server. [It is these permissions that Nelson was referring to]. If you have moved to Server 2003 then security could well have been a motivator, so you shouldn’t consider using LocalSystem.

Actually, Robert, hasn’t there been a recent change to the account to which Navision Server defaults to run under? I think I remember something like this…

Thank you Nelson and Robert. Keeping in mind that this problem was not truly a services issue, I made no changes to the default permissions; which match all of the other services. With Navision Server W1 2.60.B installed on the Windows 2003 server named TERMSERV, we want to retire the old Windows 2000 server named SERVER. However, when I copied over the database file, and attempted to connect to this database, I was given an error that said I was not licensed for a database this large. I am attempting to resolve this issue now. All help is welcome.

You should also copy the fin.flf license file from the old server to the new one. The file resides in the Database Server’s installation folder. I did spot this when you posted the error message but forgot to warn you about it. [edit] Another thing, don’t just copy the .fdb database file. Better to take a backup on the old server and restore it on the new one.

I actually did copy the fin.flf file. During server setup, it asked me to locate the license file which I have in D:\NAVISION\LICENSE\fin.flf. When I select the copied database on the new server, I receive this error: “You cannot use such large databases with this program license. Contact the system manager if you want to expand this database.” Here are some odd facts about this environment: The current fin.flf file is identical to the old, I even exported it while in the old working database. The current database file is also identical, weighing in at 1,000,000KB. The backup file for the above database is a mere 201,408KB.

While troubleshooting, I have learned that even a new database yields the same error: “You cannot use such large databases with this program license.” I am able to connect back in to the old database and confirm the license, even export it. Am I missing something somewhere?

But if you look at the information printed out by the server when you started it from the command line, you’ll see that’s it’s not picking up the correct license:

quote:

<br> Licensed to.........: CRONUS International Ltd.<br> John Roberts<br> 5 The Ring<br> Westminster<br> W2 8HG London<br> World Wide 1<br> 0666-666-6666<br>

Originally posted by Olin - 2005 Apr 07 : 17:39:50

This is just the Demo license. Firstly, when you start the Server from the command line, the information about your company - contained in the license file - must be displayed. If it is not, the server is not using the correct license. Secondly, when you create a new local database with Navision’s client application, you must also use the Tools, License screen to change the current license file to your company’s. Otherwise, the restrictions included in the Demo license will apply, as is now the case. About your facts: - For 2 concurrent users, I would say 1GB is a perfectly regular size; - It is also normal for the backup to take up very little space when compared to the database. All indexes (keys) are removed from the backup, that’s what really helps reduce it’s size. Try zipping it and it should come down to 50…60MB

When I run server.exe from the command line it looks like this: Database server for Financials version 2.60.B (Build 5709) Copyright (c) 1987-2000 Navision Software a/s Starting database server TERMSERV … Cache(Kb)…: 262144 CommitCache…: No Maximum sessions…: 2 Maximum database(Mb): 32818 NetType…: tcp Database…: D:\NAVISION\DATABASE\database.fdb Licensed to…: Food Bank of Northern Nevada 994 Packer Way Sparks, NV 89431 USA 775 331 3663 The communication port for the TCP/IP connection is being used by another program (TCP/IP error EADDRINUSE). You must modify the ‘hosts’ and ‘services’ files. You can read how to do this in the documentation for the network. Contact your system manager if you need assistance.

The actual licence file looks like this: Navision A/S Licensefile (C) Navision A/S **************************************************************************** License number : US-ZA-001-YQ812-3 Licensed to : Food Bank of Northern Nevada 994 Packer Way Soarks, NV 89431 USA 775 331 3663 **************************************************************************** Granule ID Name Amount Expires -------------- --------------------------------------------- ------ -------- 1,100 Company 1 1,200 Session 7 1,400 User IDs & Passwords 1 1,410 Permissions 1 1,520 Server - Windows NT (Intel) 1 1,700 C/ODBC 1 3,010 General Ledger - Basic General Ledger 1 3,020 General Ledger - Allocations 1 3,030 General Ledger - Budgets 1 3,040 General Ledger - Financial Schedules 1 3,260 Sales & Receivables - Basic Receivables 1 3,270 Sales & Receivables - Sales Invoicing 1 3,280 Sales & Receivables - Sales Order Management 1 3,300 Sales & Receivables - Customer/Item Discounts 1 3,310 Sales & Receivables - Alternative Ship-To’s 1 3,510 Purchases & Payables - Basic Payables 1 3,520 Purchases & Payables - Purchase Invoicing 1 3,530 Purchases & Payables - Purchase Order Managem 1 3,560 Purchases & Payables - Alt. Order Addresses 1 3,800 Application Wide - Extended Descriptions 1 4,010 Inventory - Basic Inventory 1 4,030 Inventory - Multiple Sales Prices 1 4,040 Inventory - Multiple Locations 1 4,060 Inventory - Bill of Materials 1 4,760 Application Wide - Departments & Projects 1 4,770 Application Wide - Reason Codes 1 5,010 Cash Manager - Bank Account Management 1 5,020 Cash Manager - Check Writing 1 5,030 Cash Manager - Bank Reconciliation 1 5,760 Human Resources - Basic 1 7,110 Report & Dataport Designer 1 10,020 Basic Payroll 1 10,030 Payroll Calculations 1 14,012,260 Ceres 1

ALL FIXED!!! After removing and reinstalling everything, it asked for a reboot. I waited until all of the users were out this evening, and after the reboot all was well. How strange that these error message hinged on a reboot (which it never before requested.) THANK YOU BOTH FOR ALL OF YOUR ASSISTANCE!!!

Nelson, yes from 4.0 both NAS and Navision Server try to start under NetworkService as a default and if this fails will use LocalSystem. But this is a default only and in the end it is the server admin guy that is responsible for the services.

quote:

But this is a default only and in the end it is the server admin guy that is responsible for the services.
Originally posted by robertc - 2005 Apr 08 : 09:16:33

True, but we all know how many people never tweak the default settings… I consider it a good security change. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation.