Error in approve planning item in formula

Hi all, I try to approve a planning item in formula and got an error message :“You can’t have unallocated cost on a planning formula.”. Does any one know how to solve it ? I’m afraid I miss some setup in Axapta. Thanks in advance Regards Rudy

Hi Rudy, planning item is nothing you are going to have in stock, instead you will only have the co-products or by-products you created in the co-products form. I guess you should select an allocation method for the cost between the co-products created, maybe you hadn’t put nothing there.

Hi,

I already set the co-product to TCA. But still can’t approve.

Do I miss something ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Rudy

The planning item can contain multiple items, so you have to check ALL of them have the Co/By product cost allocated correctly.

Hi Rudy, as AdamRoue says pay attention to the co-products you have placed and the cost percentages if you placed TCA in the planning item, then the co-products should have the 100% costs allocated, take a look at the screen shot and see if you have any differences…

Hi Hector,

Thanks for your info, it’s work finally.

But in cost allocation field, there is manual and TCA. What is the different.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Rudy

manual you define it Total cost allocation allocated the total costs.

Dear Hector Cazot,

I want u to confirm, if i am using Planning item for dis-manufacturing correctly, as described below:

Suppose that we want to dis-manufacture a Chicken into legs, breast and offal. I have created Chicken as production type=“None” where as all other items to production type =“Co-products”. Next i created a planning item named “P-Chicken” as a place holder to process Chicken into Legs, Breast and offals.

Next, i created a formula for planning item and then added Co-products to it and Chicken as its line item. Now i created a Batch order for planning item. This is the point where i get confused i.e. a planning item can’t have inventory then how we can consume a certain qty. of planning item in manufacturing or processing. How AX will account for quantity of chicken used for producing co-products?

Yet i created the batch order for P-Chicken and report as finished, it creates the co-product and produced inventory transactions but there was no change in inventory of line item i.e. Chicken having acutal inventory which shall be reduced. Can u suggest what has happened and if i have missed something or configuration of Chicken and its components (i.e.legs, breast and offals etc.) has not been correctly setup.

Can u suggest or highlight what i shall check or try.

Regards,

Trafique

Dear Hector Cazot,

Can u please confirm, if i am using Planning item for dis-manufacturing correctly, as described below:

Suppose that we want to dis-manufacture a Chicken into legs, breast and offal. I have created Chicken as production type=“None” where as all other items to production type =“Co-products”. Next i created a planning item named “P-Chicken” as a place holder to process Chicken into Legs, Breast and offals.

Next, i created a formula for planning item and then added Co-products to it and Chicken as its line item. Now i created a Batch order for planning item. This is the point where i get confused i.e. a planning item can’t have inventory then how we can consume a certain qty. of planning item in manufacturing or processing. How AX will account for quantity of chicken used for producing co-products?

Yet i created the batch order for P-Chicken and report as finished, it creates the co-product and produced inventory transactions but there was no change in inventory of line item i.e. Chicken having acutal inventory which shall be reduced. Can u suggest what has happened and if i have missed something or configuration of Chicken and its components (i.e.legs, breast and offals etc.) has not been correctly setup.

Can u suggest or highlight what i shall check or try.

Regards,

Trafique

I will try to dis-manufacture your questions. [:D]

1. i.e. a planning item can’t have inventory then how we can consume a certain qty. of planning item in manufacturing or processing

Correct, planning item can’t have inventory, bur you are not going to consume the planning item neither report as finished him. You are going to consume your chicken item that you placed in the formula lines.

1. How AX will account for quantity of chicken used for producing co-products?

The trick is in the Released products form, where you declare your legs, offal and brst as co-products (Engineer section), there is a field that becomes available when you select co-product as Production type, the field is Planning formula, so put there the formula you created for your planning item.

1. Yet i created the batch order for P-Chicken and report as finished, it creates the co-product and produced inventory transactions but there was no change in inventory of line item i.e. Chicken having actual inventory which shall be reduced

Ok, but the inventory of your line formula item (the chicken itself) will be reduced when you complete the picking list journal of your batch order, which is for the raw materials you use in order to produce the co-products. The report as finished will not reduce the chicken (line formula) inventory unless you select in the report as finished journal parameters (General tab) the Picking list journal name and Automatic consumption set to flushing or always.

Hi Hector,

Can we set limit qty. (i.e.min/max) of an item being used in production formula, so that if item is used less or greater quantity ax shall alert or stop production?

And can we set item limit in percentage?

Secondly, refer your point#3 in above msg, is it possible to add consumable items (e.g. packing material etc.) as line formula item along with chicken itself as part of the planning formula. So that when actual chicken item is reduced, other packing material item(s) is also reduced.

Hi Hector,

Can we set limit qty. (i.e.min/max) of an item being used in production formula, so that if item is used less or greater quantity ax shall alert or stop production?

And can we set item limit in percentage?

Secondly, refer your point#3 in above msg, is it possible to add consumable items (e.g. packing material etc.) as line formula item along with chicken itself as part of the planning formula. So that when actual chicken item is reduced, other packing material item(s) is also reduced and Cost of both chicken and packing material is added to cost of co-products being produced using the planning item.

Hi Faisal,

About your first question, what comes to mi mind is the use of Alerts in AX, (http://blog.mohamedaamer.com/microsoft-dynamics/ms_dynamics_ax/alert-management-in-ms-dynamics-ax-2012/) with the use of this function, you should create an alert on the Consumption field (Production journal lines of the Production journal for the picking list), that if it is less than or greater than the Proposal column, it should send an alert to a user or group of users. Once you find this option, playing with the formulation of the condition could allow you to use quantity or percentage restrictions.
Alerts are available for almost every field in AX, do not abuse with the use of them, the user would ask for alerts for everything that is going on in the system if you let them (I wan’t to know when this is late, I wan’t to know when this is white, I wan’t to know when this is big, etc, etc).

7002.pick.png

Ok, this option will send an alert, but will not stop production, for that you need to customize.

For your second question, yes of course, you are right, add all materials required in the formula so their cost is also considered.

Thanks Hector,

Can you guide how can i set alert condition if Consumption >Proposal, as you suggested in post. AX does not allow me setting this in alert rule.

I think I need to apologize, I was always under the assumption that alerts could be configured based on conditions/comparison with other fields of the same form, but it seems it is not that way.

Take a look at the use of the “Accept error” field in the Report as finished journal, it will show a message when it is not selected and the quantity that is reported as finished is greater than the quantity that was started on the production order.

Also under Production control\Setup\Manufacturing execution\Production parameters, in the Quantity validation area, various limits and validation parameters can be set up to reduce the risk of erroneous data being entered about the start and completion of a production order. But none of them related with quantities of the raw materials used I’m afraid.

Dear Hector,

I have also checked that proposed and consumption column in Pick List journal are related to the raw material being consumed to produce finished/co-products. So it is not the case that i want to control. On the other hand, as you suggested, i am considering using Report as Finished journal to check if a qty. variation is produced as compared to standard formula.

Let me check Quality validation parameters, if it offers any such control and will share my findings.

Regards, Faisal

Dear Hector,

Also note that Cost of item being consumed (i.e. raw material in formula line of planning item) and items being produced (i.e. Co-products) are not being calculated in Batch order (see price calculation figure-1 below). Although i have active cost prices of raw-material and co-products respectively, as you can see in figure-2 below. I am following AX 2012 process manufacturing guide to set raw-material and co-products cost but could not.

Can you guide why AX batch order does not calculate cost of items or what are the steps to configure cost correctly or debugging the configuration for proper cost calculation? Thanking you in advance.

Hi Irum, unfortunately pictures are not shown in your message. Did you setup the costing sheet? Inventory and Warehouse management\Setup\Costing\Costing sheets, that function will allow you to see price calculation in batch orders.

If that is the case, this blog will help you http://atinkerersnotebook.com/2013/05/19/configuring-costing-and-cost-sheets-in-dynamics-ax-2012/

Thanks Hector,

I do have setup item cost manually using Manage Cost–>Item price button and activated the cost. Is this process OK or i shall stick to costing sheet and do it? I have also setup and assigned Calculation Group for item in Engineer tab of released product form.

I will checkout the blog you mentioned.

** I pasted pictures directly in post but um-fortunately it is not showing in post. Can you suggest what shall be the format of picture and how to make it part of post, so that it appears.

Regards, Faisal

I’m almost sure that you need to go through the costing sheet process to see the structure and costs in the Price calculation screen.

Regarding the pictures, the web page sometimes give me an error, some times not, I usually use the Paint .png format (Windows-Accessories)