EDI Integration

Hello, everyone! I’ve reviewed the old posts regarding integrating an existing EDI application with Navision, but wasn’t able to collect any information that I could use. I’m attempting such a project, and would like to hear from those of you who have successfully implemented this. Essentially, the initial need would require integrating the info from EDI docs 850, 810, 856, 820, etc. into Navision Financials 2.5. Anyone have experience with this and be able to set me on the right path? Thanks in advance.

There’s a working add-on for EDI-Navision integration that works with the US version. It comes also with doc. about how to integrate navision with EDI. Alfonso Pertierra (Spain)apertierra@teleline.es

Thanks for the reply, Alfonso! So where do I find this add-on, or is it a Navision product that I have to purchase?

David - Keep in mind that there are different document versions and your trading partners will use fields in different ways. We’ve been integrating Navision and EDI for years and have not found that you can use a single approach to solve this issue. It gets more complicated as your number of trading partners grows. The EDI add-on that is referred to has been used successfully by some sites, but in our experience, the applciation is limited. Allen Beck President Beck Consulting Alameda, CA & Bellevue, WA allen@beckconsulting.com 800-456-8474

Thanks, Allen. I understand that EDI (whether ANSI, EDIFACT, etc.) is the “standard” from which everyone deviates! :wink: However, the mapping tools that come with most of the better EDI packages allow you to create a map for each document in use by any of your trading partners, thereby insuring that the EDI data (wherever located withing the EDI document) is consistantly mapped to the proper field of the backend application. Mapping tools I’ve got. I’m looking for some specifics of what I need to do within Navision, whether any add-on modules are needed, or if coding is required, sample Dataports, etc. Any examples, samples, or general assistance in this area would be greatly appreciated.

I would certainly recommend you at least talk to Lanham & Associates who do have an EDI package for Navision. That package description is at http://www.lanhamassoc.com/edi.htm They also will do consulting to give you a jump start if you want to do it all yourself. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

But isn’t it possible to map EDI data to an intermediate flat file for importing PO, invoice, and other data directly into Navision for the purposes of tracking this information?

Hi, Navison has a product “Commerce Gateway” that’s based on Microsoft “Biztalk Server”, but I think it’s only run on Navision Financials 2.6E. Aloi

Thanks, Aloysius. A Navision rep mentioned the BizTalk solution. He is aware that I’m using Financials 2.5 and didn’t say anything regarding a version required for the product. But let me start over. Somebody somewhere must be using Navision as is in conjunction with an EDI application. This is apparently done all the time with Great Plains and other applications. - I have EDI documents coming in and going out to different trading partners via my EDI application. - Each trading partner uses the EDI document “standards” in a different way, i.e. PO data on an EDI 850 may be configured differently as received from each trading partner. - My EDI mapping software allows me to create a “map” for each trading partner’s EDI 850 document, which extracts the data I’m interested in and creates a flat file (or files) of my designing. It is the maps that do the work - the resulting file will always have the same schema, no matter which trading partner’s data is involved. So I might decide for all the “850” maps to create a file containing nothing but purchase order information received from various trading partners EDI 850 documents. My question is how do I incorporate this data into Navision. By creating a Dataport for each document type (Sales Invoice, PO, etc.) to be created with the imported data? Using an add-on EDI component? I was hoping someone could share some examples of how they are currently doing this and -if using them for EDI- possibly a Dataport object or two for me to review. Thanks

With a product as widely used as Navision claim you would think that an EDI solution would be standard. We have been researching the subject for some months as it is a vital issue for us as well. What I have concluded thus far is - - file translation is the trivial part of the problem. - order expansion and compression appears to be in direct contrast to the internal structures of Navision. In Australia we get a single EDI order which is ‘Pack to store’ ‘Ship to distribution centre’. To process this correctly one needs to expand the EDI order into multiple sales orders (over 20 in some cases) then collapse these sales orders into one ASN response and invoice. I have yet to figure out how one would structure this in Navision. - EDI processing requires the assignment of ASN numbers per shipment / order NOT per Sales Order / Invoice. - in Australian we must Scan Pack (barcode scan at the object level) all shipments including the assignment of SSCC labels per carton (object shipped). Again we cannot see any way to achieve this in Navision. - an EDI order contains only the trading partner codes no detailed data - you get an EAN code not item number, a store code no name and address details etc… This means significant extensions to Navision. We have yet to look at the complications of generating an EDI Tax Invoice or processing the EDI payment advice documents. Again significant extensions to Navision. We have looked at Navision Commerce Gateway. By the time you setup this product and all of the supporting requirements for BizTalk Server this gets to be a very expensive approach even before you start the custom code changes that are going to be needed. Our NSC has specified a minimum release version for Navision to support Commerce Server but I can’t find the reference at the moment.

Deplane, Glad to help you on this one: 1. You can purchase an EDI solution for Navision as prevoiusly mentioned. 2. You can map the data to a flat file and then import it via a dataport or c/front. The second option is what we do. We do high volume billing via EDI (in the thousands of documents per day). We simply acquire the raw edi text. Map and convert the data to a flat file. Import the data to Navision. The development of this is pretty easy and is entirly driven by what you need in Navision. In our particular situation we import 814 and 867 and 810 data. The 867 and 810 data is imported to Navision to calculate invoices and then, the invoice is either printed or, if the invoice is to be delivered via EDI it is exported to our EDI software, converted and sent to the customer. Yours in Software, /m