Easy way to track Sales Orders

Our company sells to contractors. On our quote, we may quote a job at multiple locations. When the quote is turned into an order, the salesman breaks the order into pieces by location. Currently, the saleman will change the Navision generated sales order number to the Navision number with an alpha character at the end. Example listed below: 1012A 1012B 1012C By creating all the numbers this way, the salesman can look at all the orders for the same po at once and can scroll through the orders in numerical order. Does Navision has a method to take a quote and track all sales orders pertaining to the quote. I thought the Campaign feature may be a solution. Please advise… Thanks.

Which version of Navision are you using, if you please?

Hi I do not believe there is a method of doing this in 3.60 without modifying the “Make Order” routine to verify the location and add a denominator to the created sales order number - as standard the entire quotation is converted to teh default sales order number series next number (which is why you are manually creating the orders). Can I ask the obvious question - why do you split it onto three orders? One order per quotation would make easy reference, what are the post sales order processing that requires this seperation?

I agree with Steven. Quotes once converted into Orders cease to exist. However there is no reason why one cannot have their NSC modify this so that the quotes aren’t deleted and has it’s header updated with created Order numbers. [:)]

Steven, I tried to have the salesmen write separate quotes for one quotation request. However, our salesmen are stuck in the old mode and refuse to change to this method. I wanted to have Navision drive the numbering sequence, but sales have placed the alpha characters in the field. My directive is to use the system the way it is designed. Their response is, use the flexibility of the system and change the numberoing system to include alpha characters. What is your thoughts on changing the numbering system? Advantages and/or drawbacks. Thanks.

Hi Skolnick I was not advocating the splitting of the quotation onto three quotations, I was questioning the necessity to split the subsequent orders over three denominations by location - why? [:D] As for changing the numbering system I presume you are referring to the standard number series as opposed to modificaitons as you are trying to use the system as it is. If you automate the make order process it defaults to the sales order default number series and you lose your tracability (I do not know what happens if you archive a quotation). The standard system loses this quotation-order relationship, but I am not sure a) if you need to keep it (although it seems you do and b) why you need to split the sales order into A, B and C depending upon the location. I think the way you are approaching the referencing currently is manual but sensible for your perceived requirements - the next stage to automate it to your specifications would require some modifications.

I’d like to suggest an alternative. Add the field External Document No to the Sales Quote Header. Enter the quote as usual for the multiple locations, Enter the quote number ( or an alternate common reference ) in External Document No. Don’t use Make Order to convert a quote to a sales order. Create the sales orders using the function copy document, deleting and adjusting sales lines as appropriate to each order. You can then find all transactions - orders, shipments, invoices - relating to the original quote using the Navigate function. Or alternately use the table filter on Sales Orders etc. It might have an advantage in that you can retain the original quote, and see what actually happened. I.e. perhaps you quoted 4 locations, and got sales orders for 3 locations. It’s give potential for some analysis.

I have tested Navicons solution but it sounds like an alternative. The only thing I would add is to remove the functionality to Make Order from the Quote form - if you’re going to implement this solution [:D]

Hi Connull It works but whether it is required by Skolnick is another matter [:D]. I am unsure if they need to keep the quote, or just reference it. I am also waiting for him to tell me why they need three sales orders, just not sure we have all the details we need to make the best suggestions. Still it is an alternative, although it seems to have added a more manual element than is currently be undertaken.

Hi Steven, Point taken, but I wasn’t suggesting this is the best solution just an alternative. I just thought this was a relatively easy solution. [:)]

Hi Connull No I wasn’t implying that either! Just waiting for the response from the originator to see where to go next!

Hi Connull, Hi Steven. It is an alternative. I can’t see that it more manual effort as they are already splitting into multiple orders. I’m picturing the order as a quote to a contractor for say Floor Tiles which are then delivered to multiple stores for installation. I.e. different delivery addressees, shipment dates etc. But like you awaiting further info from Skolnick. Navicons.

Hi everyone, sorry it took so long to get back! Our company quotes jobs that can be delivered to many different locations. As we deliver to a location, our customer will be billed for the merchandise. We have one quote but many billings related to that one quote. Quotes will remain in the system for about six months and then deleted from the system. On occassion we may keep a quote longer, but that is an exception.

I guess my question is…at what point does it become an actual order? If you are billing against a quote, there has to be a logical point in time that it becomes a valid order in the system. I think this might help clear up some of the issues that everyone is querying…

Hi Bill Moffett, If you look at my original question, you will notice that three sales orders are generated with a letter appended at the end OF THE SALES ORDERS - NOT QUOTE NUMBER. In other words, once our quote is accepted by our customer, a po is generated by our customer and sent to us to generate a sales order. AT THAT TIME A SALES ORDER IS CREATED RELATING TO THE ITEMS WE QUOTED. The quote can be converted into more than one sales order. Therefore, our salesmen have decided to utilize the system from the prior software to track their orders (NOT QUOTES) which is to use one sales order number with letters at the end.

And my question is… and why not using blanket orders instead??? Regards,

Are you using the Jobs granule at all, you could then look at all postings per Job number. Or as one of the earlier responses said you could enter the Quote number in the External Document number field or add a quote number field to the Sales Header Cheers Peter

Alfonso, And my reply is: This is not a blanket PO! We have blanket PO’s that are used by our company but this issue is not a blanket PO, nor would a blanket PO be the answer. Our blanket PO’s are good for a year and up to five years depending on the vendor. This issue relates to one order that will be shipped in groups per the original quote.

Hi Skolnick I am afraid it seems from your requiremets that you cannot automate this as stadard in the system. It would seem you have two choices: 1. Carry on as you are splitting the order from the quote by a denomination of a letter, as this gives you traceability from the original order but requires manual intervention. 2. Modify the system to auto generate sales orders from the location specified on the sales line along the predetermined manual lies. Have fun [:D]