Dynamics Nav - Sql Server 2008 R2 Standard Vs Enterprise

Hi All,

I am working for a client and we have currently installed Nav 2009 SP1 and SQL Server 2005. The management is considering a complete upgrade of hardware and software. We plan to upgrade to Nav 2009 R2 and SQL Server 2008 R2.

We are currently debating on whether to implement SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition or Enterprise Edition. I am aware that Microsoft Dynamics NAV and SQL Server Database Compression is a very important factor in decision making as it is only comes with Enterprise Edition. I am also currently reviewing the Features Supported by the Editions of SQL Server 2008 R2.

Considering that Enterprise Edition is very costly than standard edition, the management wanted to know which version is recommended in Nav World. Looking for valuable inputs from all of you.

First input - maybe not valuable - go for NAV2013 if you do not need the Classic Client. The 2013 RTC is much better than the 2009R2 one in many regards. It is more stable and catches exceptions rather than crashing the client (mostly) and it provides a lot mor options for development.

Regarding the edition selection it is more a question of how many cores you are using for the SQL server and how much memory you can provide.
Also determine the database size and average yearly growth.
I would also suggest to run SQL Server 2012 instead of 2008R2,