Dynamics NAV 5.0 SP1 Restore Error

1. Take a standard Dynamics NAV 5.0 SP1 (demo is ok).
  2. Create a new company so that the database has two companies.
  3. Create a NAV backup of the first company, plus data common to all companies, plus objects
  4. Restore this into a new empty database.
  5. You now get an error saying that the new company you created in 2 is missing and restore stops.

Have any of you experienced this ?

i I think data common to all companies should be unticked in this case.

however today i also have the same problen.

I have 3 companies in my db & i have taken backup of all 3 with data common ticked.

now i have created new db & restore only 1 with tick on data common to all then it gives error that comp. no so & so does bot exist.

i tried agian after removing that data common to all then it 's fine.

Thanks

I can confirm this problem being existent.

The only way to overcome this is to backup all companies.

Hi Ashish,

Thank you. But if you create the backup without the common data, then you miss out some very important data to use the database. So basically Thomas’ suggestion is the only useable, if you need to create a new database.

Actually this is a very dangerous situation for all people not knowing about this issue.

In case of a complete crash of the database you will not be able to restore anything even if you make your daily backups if you do not have your “complete” backup.

Hi Erik,

What’s happening here is that even though you are not backing up the second company, it is still referenced the the common data tables. When this is restoring and verifies then it gives the error. Thomas’s solution is the only one I have got to work.

Hi Dave,

Yes I see what’s happening. And although Thomas’ solution works, then an uacceptable workaround. We are using the single company backup a lot to create local test versions, and having to backup all the companies means that instead of using 20-30 minutes to make a backup, then it takes us 3-4 hours!

And this did always work in the previous versions (even though nothing seems to have changed in that code), so it’s a simple error that Microsoft should get fixed ASAP! [8o|]

I agree, single company backups should just work. Sometimes MSFT has unreleased hotfixes for these types of things, so have your partner check with tech support.

You’re Daniel. Thank you for calming me down! [:S]

I’ll check as soon as people get to work around here!

Hi Guys,

I managed to restore a partial backup like this…

• Create database.
  • Restore Backup, untick “data common…”
  • Restore Backup again, this time only “data common…”

However…
For some reason i don’t get stylesheets and stuff like that restored. Permissions, users and stuff like that are restored properly…

Hi guys,

Daniel was right. Microsoft of cause knew this error and has a hot fix for it. Try search for KB# 957471 in the Microsoft Dynamics knowledge base on Partnersource. The new files has build# 27368.

Btw. one of my co-workers actually gave me a work around that worked.

1. Before you create your backup. Delete the companies you’re not including in your backup from table 2000000006 (Company).
  2. Make your backup.
  3. Insert the companies you deleted into table 2000000006 again.

How do you delete the records in table 200000006?
If i try this approach, the company is actually deleted. And afterwards (after inserting the record again) i can open the company, but no data exists.

How do you delete the records in table 200000006?
If i try this approach, the company is actually deleted. And afterwards (after inserting the record again) i can open the company, but no data exists.