Dynamics NAV 4.00SP3 on 64 servers

I have promised to ask this question for a friend:

"We plan a new database server and one question is:

Can we use the 64-bit version of SQL-Server 2005 / Windows Server 2005 ?

Is there any know issue with Dynamics NAV that preventing us to do so ?"

Did you mean Windows Server 2003 R2? I didn’t think there was a Windows Server 2005, unless you mean beta release of Longhorn, which I definitely would not recommend.

As to 64 bit SQL 2005, I have seen that at a few sites with no problems, definitely it makes it easier to manage memory. But there is a problem with the way execution plans are handled for some queries from Navision, primarily relating to forms based on large record sets. Personally I have not seen that Issue, but if it is a big database, then for sure have you friend get in a NAV/SQL tuning expert to gt is sorted out properly.

We have a number of sites running on 64-bit including a couple 50+ GB databases. 64-bit has become our recommended install. The execution plan problem exist in both 32 and 64 bit versions.

One issue (if you can call it that way):

on a 32bit, I always keep 512MB memory for the system and the occasional administrating on the server and with this I have more than enough. On a 64bit, I noticed that the server occupies immediately over 512MB! So I keep 1GB for the system and occasional administrating.

Have a couple of customers running here. I recommend it to new customers, partners and migrating users.

I just love the 64bit for it’s memory usage, other than that no differences between 64 and 32bit. Same executionplan errors.

Be carefull with running the Management studio on the server or on MSTSC, it can consume a lot of memory somehow.

Oh, and the SQL Perform tools also work on 64bit. [:P]

Hi Mark and others, Thank you for the answers I’ll pass them on…

well, yes, sometimes there is an issue… some customers of mine (450GB +) who run their navision database on x64 (enterprise ed.) experience overflowing memory areas within sql server. the symptom is that sql server seems to be getting slower and slower. as a workaround, these memory areas need to be cleared from time to time. the most recent version of SQLSunrise (which of course runs on 64 bit) also addresses this problem by observing these memory areas and clearing them once a threshold is exceeded.