Does Navision make your life better? why?

Does Navision make your life better? why? [^]Let’s return to basic questions[^]

now I can pay my bills…

It all depends on which day you ask me, as I have a serious Love-Hate relationship with the program. but nothing in life can ever be as simple and straightforward as you would like it to be.

Yes indeed its a Love-Hate relationship…what he means is that The Product ‘loves’ him but he ‘hates’ the Product…hehe…

I would have voted “For sure”, but I pushed “(Anonymous Vote)”…[:(] Since november 2003 I’m working with Navision and I must say I like it! And this forum is very useful. It helps me a lot with programming. Thank you all for that! Hopefully in the future I also can contribute something to this forum.

Ive had the pleasure of working with both Sage and Navision, and all you “Navision Haters” don’t know how easy you’ve got it!

Ive been working with Navision for 5 years now and I am so much happier now than I have EVER been!

Yeah. I like its flexibilities, but sometimes hates its bugs, limitation and lack of document.

I have been working on navision since 2000, my experince is that it depends on who is using it and how the person take it. Navision is flexible, easy to use and users friendly only if you understand the intention of the end user, follow the codes and instruction used.

I personally like Navision, for its flexibility and customization, comparing with my experience in other mid-tier ERP system.

I’ve been working with it for about 16 months and I get the feeling it’s got a mind of it’s own. Somedays it can’t do enough for you and others it just seems to say “No thanks, I’m not in the mood”. I don’t have much experience with other systems but I look at Navision as a positive thing.

I have been working with it for a few years now and quite like it, but some things are completely frustrating, e.g. the lack of memo fields, the report writer, item tracking being over-engineered, and the limitations of the design environment (e.g. “maximise on open property” has never worked and forms and subforms resizing with each other). Overall though, a great product and I have not seen any else that I would rather work with.

I am a software engineer, formally an applications architect for Boeing who uses BaaN as their ERP system. I did a lot of development for them to support BaaN as well as other areas of supply chain management. While doing this I got to dabble in much of the available functionality offered by BaaN. Lately I have been working with a company who seems to be less than half way implemented with Navision and have been having trouble getting much farther (as it pertains to the manufacturing module at least). This is in my opinion is not necessarily the fault of the software. It’s my opinion that Navision seems to be a very capable package for the appropriate sized company and for that company offers not much less functionality of something much bigger (expensive) like BaaN. The lack of this company’s implementation comes mostly from weakly defined business process which leads to improper use of the system. Noting here that any good software engineer should know that you should buy / build software to enforce an already understood business policy and try to avoid buying / building to invent the business policy I must say that if more documentation were available to coach companies in the use of Navision I could easily say “yes it makes my life easier”.

Does it make your life better? You can earn a good living from it, but not as good as when I started in Navision 8 years ago. The product has moved on a lot, but the weak area’s like Job & Resources are still the same as they were in 1.10 I loved the product after coping with the code limitations, still do! But if it needed a kidney and mine was the perfect match! Hmmmm!

quote:

Originally posted by meintd
I have been working with it for a few years now and quite like it, but some things are completely frustrating, e.g. the lack of memo fields, the report writer, item tracking being over-engineered, and the limitations of the design environment (e.g. “maximise on open property” has never worked and forms and subforms resizing with each other). Overall though, a great product and I have not seen any else that I would rather work with.

A type of Memo field is in Version 4.00 [:D] I would rather write a custom report or two in Navision than re-create the ledgers and codunits in VB! [:0] The Design environment give you just enough tools to get by, which is good for someone starting to code, look at other packages give about 20 events on a field of which you might use only 3-5. [;)] Examples are great just look at existing functions, then mimic the code, or copy and paste, then change as required. [:D]