DO YOU KNOW IT !! with FBK, But and the options ?

Big problem !!! [B)] To help my customer to do a fbk, i prepare the screen backup : tools, backup (it was fourteen o’clock). When my customer push to the “OK” button at twenty o’clock … Navision make the backup of all THE data until fourteen o’clock. NAVISION FORGOT all the datas after the moment the screen of the backup was open !!! [:(] Do you know it !!! Give me your opinion ! Navision Financial 2.01 Be carrefull on this !!!

Never back up live db! Nobody (ie your customer) is that stupid that he can’t push Tools - > backup himself. Every user can do anything - as long as you won’t treat them like babies and give good directions, maybe not always the first time but still.

I didn’t know about it… very bad! Navision (native) is version based, so every transaction/record has a version no. This number is incremented for every transaction. When you launch a backup, Navision will take a “snapshot” of the database for the actual version and everything before this version. This makes sure that the new transactions processed after the backup will not be considered. Badly, it seems that Nav 2.01 captures the “actual” version at the moment you open the backup screen, instead of the moment the OK button is pushed. [xx(] I hope no one deleted the real “actual” database!!!

Why is this so bad? Should we be worried that a user may wish to have the Backup window opened for a whole week before pressing OK?!? As I see it, if I want to take a backup, I will go into Tools, Backup, take a few seconds to set my options, description and file and press OK. Am I loosing something during those moments? Maybe I am, but then the reason will be that the database is being used while I am backing it up. We all know that Navision is version-based and that the backup itself will be consistent if I restore it. But will I know what data was later inputted in the database and is, of course, not present in the restored backup? Hardly, if the backup is taken during a full activity period. I don’t think this is a major problem (or even a minor one, for that matter). Just be sure to create backups at a time when you know exactly what it will contain.

quote:

Originally posted by dgodbout
I didn’t know about it… very bad! Navision (native) is version based, so every transaction/record has a version no. This number is incremented for every transaction. When you launch a backup, Navision will take a “snapshot” of the database for the actual version and everything before this version. This makes sure that the new transactions processed after the backup will not be considered. Badly, it seems that Nav 2.01 captures the “actual” version at the moment you open the backup screen, instead of the moment the OK button is pushed. [xx(] I hope no one deleted the real “actual” database!!!

Hi David, I have must restore this backup in version 3.70 during the night [B)] It was the goal to make this backup In the all the version , i have confirmation that When opening the backup screen, Navision gets the latest version number of the database until that point. It doesn’t matter when you push the OK button. The time you open the backup screen, is the time that, for Navision, the backup starts. This is done to prevent inconsistency in the Database. Bye

quote:

Originally posted by facade
Never back up live db! Nobody (ie your customer) is that stupid that he can’t push Tools - > backup himself. Every user can do anything - as long as you won’t treat them like babies and give good directions, maybe not always the first time but still.

Hie, YES YES, the storekeeper is enough stupid to don’t make the backup … It was the reason i will prepare him the screen…

quote:

Originally posted by marvax In the all the version , i have confirmation that When opening the backup screen, Navision gets the latest version number of the database until that point. It doesn’t matter when you push the OK button.

I agree that this is not a serious Navision bug (feature?)… You were just unlucky to discover this issue during the process of converting the database!

Hmmm… I clicked “Subscribe to this topic” many times and I don’t receive any emails when messages are posted in this forum. Am I the only one with this problem?

quote:

Originally posted by dgodbout
Hmmm… I clicked “Subscribe to this topic” many times and I don’t receive any emails when messages are posted in this forum. Am I the only one with this problem?

No , David, you are not the only one I have clicked too and i don’t receive any emails … Can I have your email adress i have some question about your country and navision ? Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by marvax YES YES, the storekeeper is enough stupid to don’t make the backup … It was the reason i will prepare him the screen…

Maybe you should try making screenshots of every step, print those out for the storekeeper and have him call you the first couple of times that he wants to do it. Or, do a few practice runs with him and let HIM drive the computer. If this storekeeper is smart enough to own a business, he will be smart enough to remember a three step task in Navision.

quote:

Originally posted by DenSter

quote:

Originally posted by marvax YES YES, the storekeeper is enough …It was the reason i will prepare him the screen…

Maybe you should try making screenshots of every step, print those out for the storekeeper and have him call you the first couple of times that he wants to do it. Or, do a few practice runs with him and let HIM drive the computer. If this storekeeper is smart enough to own a business, he will be smart enough to remember a three step task in Navision.

Nothing more to add - I’am a YesMan for Daniel on this one

quote:

Originally posted by facadeNothing more to add - I’am a YesMan for Daniel on this one

WOOHOO!!! [:D]

quote:

Originally posted by DenSter

quote:

Originally posted by facadeNothing more to add - I’am a YesMan for Daniel on this one

WOOHOO!!! [:D]

Thanks I’ve decided to do a video file (.avi ) with an audio explanation. I’ll hope it will be sufficient.

There is also a problem …. Do you know if it is possible to prevent the user modify the backup’s option ??? Because I need obligatorily an entire database backup Thanks

quote:

Originally posted by marvax
There is also a problem …. Do you know if it is possible to prevent the user modify the backup’s option ??? Because I need obligatorily an entire database backup Thanks

Hi! Try HotCopy. Ok, the file is larger (full copy of FDB) as is it with the backup, but you can set all parameters and user have only to run it. Bostjan

I think you are trying to escape the simple fact that the people using Navision MUST know how to use it. This is a typical lack of end user training (as Daniel already stated).

quote:

Originally posted by nelson
I think you are trying to escape the simple fact that the people using Navision MUST know how to use it. This is a typical lack of end user training (as Daniel already stated).

Of course i’m agree with you !!! BUT some users who are intouchable would make even much to miss a project!! So the director require the full automatic system and the most reliable

quote:

Originally posted by bostjanl

quote:

Originally posted by marvax

Hi! Try HotCopy. Ok, the file is larger (full copy of FDB) as is it with the backup, but you can set all parameters and user have only to run it. Bostjan

Hi, Thanks for your suggest But my version of navision is 2.01 or 2.60 I think hot copy works only from 3.00.

Expandit Backup Utility might be a solution. Check Utilities on http://www.expandit.com

[quote Hi, Thanks for your suggest But my version of navision is 2.01 or 2.60 I think hot copy works only from 3.00.
[/quote]

If the costumer is in the upgrade subscription program, than you can upgrade server & clients to 3.60/3.70. Just backup&restore 2.01 version to 3.60/3.70. Or you can write BAT file and scheduled it to run at night. This BAT file should stop Navision service (NET STOP ServiceName) , copy FDB file(s) to backup location, optionaly comppressed them (ZIP,ARJ,RAR,…) and then start Navision service again (NET START ServiceName). Bostjan