Do multiple countries require multiple instances?

Hi all,We are looking to implement an ERP in our offices located in , , and . Each of these offices (one office per country) will be an independent business unit (subsidiary) and will need to handle local government and tax requirements. My question is: Do we need a separate database (SQL Server) and NAV instance for each office (due to localization)? We are looking to host out of the and provide local access through Citrix. Maintaining three production SQL Server and NAV instances, along with the corresponding test instances, is not very attractive from a support perspective. Can these three offices work off the same instance as three separate business units? Thanks in advance!

Adam

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the user group.

Well what you’re trying to do is bascially what I have done the last 4-5 years.

Had you been asking me if you could do Argentina, Mexico and Chile in one instance (one NAV database) then my answer would have been very clear. The answer would have been yes. Not that you could do it out of the box, but it would require too much work (except for withholding tax in Argentina).

But now you ask me about Brazil! As beautiful as their women are, as crazy (complex) their local legal requirements seams. So far I have not meet any company who have been able to run the Brazil localizations in the same database as other countries.

Hello AdamK I am currently running 7 companies in one database. Due to frequent intercompany business (sales och purchases as well as maintainig identical item and BOM tables) there is a big advantage in using one common database. The companies operate in England, Denmark, France, The Netherlands, Sweden and USA. There is very little customization made to deal with country specific functionality. So the answer is, yes, you can do it. //Pelle

Hi Pelle,

But are you also running BRAZIL in the same database?

In my old job we were running 14 different countries (and 20 companies) in the same database, not easy, but possible. Our sister company was running about 20 countries in the same database, but had Brazil in it’s own database. Another company I know well have 30 countries in the same database, but decided not implement Brazil in Navision due to complex requirements there.

Sorry Erik, no Brazil. My knowledge about Brazilian accounting peculiarities is nil, so you should see my post more as a general opinion. When we started implementing Navision in the US subsidiary, we tried to get som help from a local (Atlanta) Navsion consultant. He stated it was impossible to run Navision in the states unless you used the US localisation. We dismissed him as being uncooperative, and proved he was wrong (since now 8 years). Off topic: What is so special with Brazil accounting/taxation that makes it impossible to co-reside with other countries? //Pelle

I know. In general I agrees with you. But he specially asked about Brazil.

I can actually tell you that when we started our project in my old company in 2003, Microsoft told me that what we wanted to do was not possible since we also stated that we didn’t want to use the local versions.

As to the US localizations, then I have to say that the US Sales Tax module is one of the best localizations done. If you have the US Sales Tax module, then you actually don’t need the VAT, as you can also calculate VAT with the Sales Tax module. And if you take a country like i.e. Spain, then the World Wide VAT module can actually not be used in all situations as they calculate VAT on VAT, which is not supported by the World Wide VAT module. It was also our experience when we implemented in the US that the World Wide Sales Tax module can actually not be use, as it is not good enough.

So in my new company we are creating a new based version for our global implementations, based on the World Wide version including it’s VAT module, but are adding the US Sales Tax module and we are creating a new Withholding Tax module (used a lot in Asia and many other countries) also based on the US Sales Tax module. There is a Withholding Tax module available in the AP (Asian Pacific) version of Navision, but it actually only works good in Thailand (the developers also came from Thailand).

I agree that in general most countries in the world you can actually have in one global database. However Brazil can be complex. I recently finished an implementation of 30 countries all in the same database but ended up leaving Brazil out of the implementations and the needed developments were too expensive compared with a cost benefit at that time. However I might say that how complex Brazil really is depends on the type of business the company is in so it might be possible also to include Brazil. For all countries you need a number of legal reports that are mandatory and needs to be “stamped” both in Chile and Brazil. You can look at my website or contact me if you want more details about how the implementation can be done or information about a International Legal module that I have developed in my recent job.