DLL Reference - "The variable is not of the type CLASS"

Hi everyone,

Just a while ago I set up a completely new AX 2012 R3 with no customizations or whatever on it. Then, I installed the Cumulative Update 8 on it and everything went fine until I do a full compilation of the AOT. At the end of the compilation I would get errors in some classes with the message “The variable is not of the type CLASS”. When I look into the method where this error is coming from, I see that references to .DLLs are underlined red, like when it calls “Microsoft.Dynamics.Commerce.Headquarters.RetailProxy”.Looking into the Event Viewer, I see some warnings like this:

The description for Event ID 110 from source Microsoft Dynamics AX cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Microsoft Dynamics AX Business Connector Session 3.

Failed loading assembly Microsoft.Dynamics.Commerce.Headquarters.RetailProxy, Version=6.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35

Now I heard that the warning in the Event Viewer is normal, but how can I get rid of the compilation errors? Because of these, I also can’t get CIL to compile without any errors of course.

Does anyone has an idea what I need to do to get rid of these compilation errors?

• AnonX

The error means that AX can’t find a .NET assembly containing the given type.

It’s Microsoft.Dynamics.Commerce.Headquarters.RetailProxy assembly in this case, therefore one reason may be that you haven’t installed retail components.

Hi Martin,

actually, in the update package I selected all updates and the retail components were installed as well. The errors are also coming from these retail components. For example, one compilation error with the message I mentioned above is coming from the class RetailOrderCalculator.initializeCrt.

That’s X++ code; it doesn’t mean that you have all related libraries installed on the machine where you’re running the compilation.

AX tries to look for they assembly and it can’t find it, so it’s either not there at all or there is a problem with it, e.g. a wrong version.

Hey AnonX,

Did you manage to find a solution to this?

Cheers,

Hi Zenon,

sadly, I could not solve this problem yet… Until now I could live with it, but I guess there will come a time where I also will have big problems. Maybe the DLL is broken? My next step would be to copy the DLL of a new fresh installed and working environment and look if it would work. But for that I will have to wait until the environment is set up.

Regards

AnonX

Hey AnonX

Thank you for the response, shame you havent got a solution, means I have to do more work!

I have tried installing / uninstalling components, searching the gac for DLL files but so far no success. I am going to try doing a new download of the update package and going from there. Rather fustrating.

If you get anywhere can you please update the thread?

Cheers,