Dimension - Color and size

In Axapta 3.0 it is possible to add the dimensions color and size to an item. But only one BOM (or route) can be active. That is you can not have different BOM for different color/sizes. This gives problems with master planning. Has anyone found a solution? (we are on SP3)

You can have different BOM ( color/sizes) with Dimenson Configuration - using Configuration groups and Conf. rules.

ValS: Well yes, but that is for Configuration - not dimension Colour / Size. Or am I wrong? - I can’t find the way to set up rules for Colour and Size. Please be more specific if possible.

quote:

Configuration - not dimension Colour / Size

Yes, you are right. You must realize Color and size with Configuration. In standart Axapta Conf. rules you can’t add rules for Color and size - only for Configuration. Tell me please an example of your BOM. Well, if you have Product Builder - you can use it for configurate BOM.

Our main products are manufactured and sold as Configs. Normally we create a new Config per order. It consists of items where we found advantages using Size and Color dimension - in order to decrease the number of item numbers. (For some items both Size and Color.) An example could be sprockets where the Size describes the number of teeths. (simplified BOM list) Item no. Size 1760 80 1760 90 BOM: Consist of Quantity (usage) 1760-80 P-1760 0,50 X-7060 1,00 1760-90 P-1760 0,80 X-7060 1,00 We need the possibility to activate the BOM list to a certain Size. (in regard to Master Planning) We have discussed the possibility of changing to Configs but then we will have to change a lot of forms and reports. In our situation it would be better changing back to normal items without dimensions on these items. But for instance the “on stock” form gives a great overview when using dimensions.

My proposition is: 1. Item Configuration= Color+Size Ex.: Color - Red, Size - X, XL, XXL → Conf.= RedX, RedXL, RedXXL 2. BOM cof. RedX, RedXL, RedXXL. 3. Otherwise - using Product Builder or Developing.

quote:

In Axapta 3.0 it is possible to add the dimensions color and size to an item. But only one BOM (or route) can be active. That is you can not have different BOM for different color/sizes. This gives problems with master planning. Has anyone found a solution? (we are on SP3)
Originally posted by Tina - 2005 Jan 10 : 18:00:04

Tina You have a very good point. We have strugged with the same thing. Our conclusion is that Axapta has unfinished design here. You know why? Look at the ROuting versions. There it is possible to link an Item+Item Dimension combination to a routing. Why not with a BOM-Version? It would make total sense. Now what we do is use smart naming conventions for our BOM versions to identify which Item Dimension (which size or which color) the BOM belongs to. BUt there is no database link. We are goin to suggest a system enhancement and are still pondering a customization ourselves. I think the problem is , historically, that Axapta’s color/size functionality was developed in a retail / distribution situation , not for manufacturing. BUt then again, wny are the routings totally ready for iTem Dimensions and the BOMs not? Evert J Bos