Development/Testing Environment

Curious to know if anyone recommends a testing enironment with Navision 3.70 on top of C/Side DB in a Windows 2000 Server/Citrix XP setup? Can an end user company with solution developer licensing setup two distinct databases/applications…1-development and 1-production? Upon testing new functionality is there a tool for copying the new/modified objects into the production database/application? Or do you need to recreate these objects in the production application? Is there a limit to how many development environments are allowed? If a development environment is allowed, can it coexist with the produciton enviornment on the same box? Is there an ez export/import routine to refresh the development environment with recent production data? Thank you for any reply and if this was already addressed in another thread, could you please direct me to it. Thanks again, Seth DeBriere Navision Newbie (Non-NSC)

quote:

Curious to know if anyone recommends a testing enironment with Navision 3.70 on top of C/Side DB in a Windows 2000 Server/Citrix XP setup?

NO, not recommended ! Own developmentserver or local developing.

quote:

Can an end user company with solution developer licensing setup two distinct databases/applications…1-development and 1-production?

??. No one can proof this.

quote:

Upon testing new functionality is there a tool for copying the new/modified objects into the production database/application? Or do you need to recreate these objects in the production application?

Yes. Exporting / Importing by FOB-file

quote:

If a development environment is allowed, can it coexist with the produciton enviornment on the same box?

Maybe, but you should clearly devide development and production

quote:

Is there an ez export/import routine to refresh the development environment with recent production data?

Theme, that you must better describe.Which production-data?

First, thank you iammicky for the quick response. I want to do a better job of clarifying. Upon clearer end results, please follow up with any advice. We are planning to purchase two separate servers. One for Production Version of Application/C-Side DB and another for Development Version of Application/C-Side DB. It is common for our staff to drop our entire development database, export “fresh” production data (typically every table) and import the data into our empty development database. Therefore there is a definite line between the two environments. This line is drawn by separate servers, applications, and databases. Upon reading your reply it sounded as though the only concern was clearly defining what data was to be imported and into which database. As long as we exercise caution then accomplishing this task is straight forward. Did I interpret that correctly? If so, could you please clarify as to which tools I would use to “Export/Import the FOB file”…Also, is the FOB file the entire database? What if I want to just copy over a form into the production environment? Is there a way to bring over only certain objects i.e. forms, codeunits, etc…? Also, it sounded as though there was no real checks and balances in regards to number of installs of the application/database…is that true? Could we install as many development environments as we see fit without paying for additional licensing? Thanks again, Seth

Why would you use a fob from production to development. A fob contains the software, so the developers might not be very happy. I would try back up (of production) and restore (into dev) of data to start with. If you haven’t been playing with field definitions ro if you haven’t been removing fields it should work.

quote:

Originally posted by gco
Why would you use a fob from production to development. A fob contains the software, so the developers might not be very happy. I would try back up (of production) and restore (into dev) of data to start with. If you haven’t been playing with field definitions ro if you haven’t been removing fields it should work.

Thanks nav nav for the insight. I’m such a newbie that I was under the imporession that the FOB file was the database. While we are on the topic of software objects (forms, codeuntis, dataports) Do you know how to develop a form, for example, and import that single form (no other object) into the production database? Is it as simple as finding the NewForm.fob file and putting it in the production file system? What about other objects such as code units or dataports? Does the same technique apply?

I think you need to phone a Navision partner for a basic explanation…or browse/search the website a few days before asking any question.

Thanks Erik. Just hoping I could get a basic explanation from the user group’s previous experience.

Hi Seth,

quote:

Thanks nav nav for the insight. I’m such a newbie that I was under the imporession that the FOB file was the database. While we are on the topic of software objects (forms, codeuntis, dataports) Do you know how to develop a form, for example, and import that single form (no other object) into the production database? Is it as simple as finding the NewForm.fob file and putting it in the production file system? What about other objects such as code units or dataports? Does the same technique apply?

Well it IS christmas isn’t it - and I’m positively beaming with goodwill for my fellow man, so here’s an excerpt from the online help:

quote:

How to Import Objects Follow these steps to import objects: Choose Tools, Object Designer Choose File, Import… Choose the file that contains the binary objects from the dialog. (These files have an .fob extension.) When you have chosen a file, it will be examined. Depending upon the contents of the file, one of these things will happen: If the file contains new or updated objects only, you will be asked if you want to import it now. If you choose Yes, the objects will be imported. If you choose Cancel, the import will be aborted. If, however, you choose No, the Import Worksheet (described below) will appear. If there are conflicts, you will be informed of this, and you can choose either to cancel the import, or to go to the Import Worksheet (by choosing OK from the dialog). There are two kinds of conflicts: The first may occur if the version list numbers of the new and the existing objects are not the same. Another type of conflict arises if the default actions that were created by storing the Import Worksheet settings in the file with the objects (see below) are not valid (because the versions of the objects in the database are different from what was the case when the file was created).

You can export objects individually or in groups from the Object Designer Good luck & Merry Christmas.

Excellent!..Thanks SV I appreciate your consideration. Merry Christmas.