Developer Training

I am looking for a place in the US that does developer training. Or How can one get enrolled in Atlanta? Anybody know? Thanks

Contact your NSC which should be able to arrange a course booking on your behalf. ###### tarek_demiati@ureach.com

If you need developer training at your office and if you have multiple people to enroll, our firm can provide that on-site in North America in a Navision approved form. Please visit our web page at www.libertyforever.com. You can contact us with inquiries through our web site. We will also create Navision courses tailored to a particular training requirement. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

I also agree whole heartly that if you need developer training then do contact libertyforever.com. As unless your comany has purchased a Solution Developers Licence or Application Builders licence from Navision which cost a few $$$ you will not be able to modify core Navision code. Of course my comments above do not apply to what an end user is able to do using any one of the design tools. Basically what I am saying is that I am sure that Liberty Grove Software will be able to tailor the training course to suit the type of end user licence that your company has purchased. _________________________ Wendy O’Connor - co moderator Attain/Financials - End User Questions NOLUG

Wendy O’Connor said: As unless your comany has purchased a Solution Developers Licence or Application Builders licence from Navision which cost a few $$$ you will not be able to modify core Navision code. +++++ I was under the impression that even an End User had to pass the Programmer and Developer courses in order to obtain the Solution Developer licence, not just pay the licence fees. Regards! Kristopher Webb Kelar Corporation, Canada

Kristopher Webb comments “I was under the impression that even an End User had to pass the Programmer and Developer courses in order to obtain the Solution Developer licence, not just pay the licence fees.” Kristopher, you may well be correct that the customer has to have attended the Developer courses before purchasing the licence here in North America, but it is not the requirement else where in the world. It would be interesting to know if you are indeed right. Perhaps if you do get an answer from Navision CA you could post your findings here on the NOLUG. _________________________ Wendy O’Connor - co moderator Attain/Financials - End User Questions NOLUG

I do not believe that an end-user has to pass the solution developer (SD) course in the US or CA in order to purchase a SD license. The end-user simply needs to pay many $ as was stated. End-users do not typically attend the SD training offered by the NTRs (at least in the US & Canada). Why? First, it’s not encouraged by the NTR and besides the NSC can give more specific training in the area in which you are most interested and also more suited to your schedule. Please note that you can do almost all the development that you need with an application builders license except for modifying protected tables or those objects which modify protected tables. Therefore, my recommendation for you (at least for the short term) would be to only get the application builders license. I’ve seen way to many programmers who don’t fully understand Navision who’ve modified codeunits which handle posting of transactions who’ve made a mess of things so badly that it’s taken weeks to straighten out. Good luck, whatever you decide. /Michael

1. As end-user you don’t have to pass any course to get a solutions development/application development license, but remember that navision’s end-user license is limited on the contract to be used on the end-user own company, not for making changes to other companies’ databases, so if you “break” something you’re breaking it into your own company… (also a difference is that end-user license with development does not expire in time…) 2) At least before for getting the solutions development license as end-user, you’ve to buy first the application development one, that’s lower cost, so if you’re not sure if you’ll need the solutions development one, don’t buy it at first… just buy the application development and if, after using it, you find that it’s worthy to buy the following step, buy it. Regards and happy new year, Alfonso Pertierra (Spain)apertierra@teleline.es

quote:

Originally posted by mctester: I do not believe that an end-user has to pass the solution developer (SD) course in the US or CA in order to purchase a SD license. The end-user simply needs to pay many $ as was stated. End-users do not typically attend the SD training offered by the NTRs (at least in the US & Canada). Why? First, it’s not encouraged by the NTR and besides the NSC can give more specific training in the area in which you are most interested and also more suited to your schedule. [SNIP] I’ve seen way to many programmers who don’t fully understand Navision who’ve modified codeunits which handle posting of transactions who’ve made a mess of things so badly that it’s taken weeks to straighten out. Good luck, whatever you decide. /Michael

Michael knows what he is talking about: he used to work for the Product Support Group at Navision US, which provides training & tech support. He was extremely helpful to me on a number of occasions while I worked for an NSC in the northeast US! Generally speaking, NSCs can sell the solution and application developers licenses to any customer who is willing to pay the rather large fee. However, the NSC is responsible for providing training and tech support to the end user. Navision US won’t neccesarily help the NSC clean up the mess left behind if an end user’s programmers bollix things up. The NSC is responsible for making sure that all mods to the core system actually work, whether they are done by the NSC’s own staff, by the end user’s staff (or by a third party.) NSCs are also required to meet various revenue goals, which means that they can run into trouble if the end user decides to “save money” quote-unquote by doing Navision mods inhouse. Finally, I believe that end users are never allowed to modify posting routines: those mods are supposed to be done by the NSCs. ------- Tim Horrigan horrigan@aol.com