Debit memos

Hi everyone, One of my clients needs to ability to increase the original amount of a sales invoice not only decrease it by credit memos. So if you had a so called “debit memo” document for 10 and applied it to an invoice with a remaining amount of 100 you will get 110 on the invoice. One way to do it is by using Document Type Blank on Sales Journal and commenting out the code that checks for the sign of the amount in Codeunit 12. Does anybody know whether this will cause any problems ? I will be using also foreign currencies and adjusting them at the end of the month. Or if you have another idea how to handle it …[?] Thanks, Cristi Nicola P.S. Before you ask, NO the customer does not want to have two invoices …

This isn’t a direct answer, simply something to consider. I assume from your question that the invoice hasn’t been printed/presented to the customer? If you do accomplish this, there will not be a complete audit trail within the system or via documentation. The original invoice will have created multiple ledger entries when posted; the “Debit Memo” will do the same and there probably won’t be a logical connection to the modified invoice via navigation. You can get away with the Debit Memo concept in the U.S. and a few other countries, but it is not a valid and/or legally acceptable transaction type in many other countries.

Hi Allen, First I should have mentioned that I am using Attain. I already commented out the code in cod 12. I posted an invoice for a 1000 $ and when I posted a blank document with 100 I got one new Cust. Ledger Entry: the one for the new document. The original invoice had a Rem. Amount of 1100 $ due to a new Application Detailed Cust. Ledger Entry. So I tell you it seems to not matter. But they why they put the code there? Cristi

Hi, Why do you need to increase remaining amount? In most cases two documents is a good solution (Invoice and Debit Memo).

Cristi, Like Valentin, then I would like to know WHY your customer want it this way. Because as Allen says what you describe is actually illigal in most countries, unless I’m understanding what you say wrong.

Ok. First of all you guys should really know that the question “Why do you want to do it this way?” doesn’t work with clients. They just want it that way … [:D] Now for a little background: this is an insurance company. And an unusual one: say NY city needs to issue some bonds. If they get someone to guarantee that they will pay if NY city defaults then they get an A credit rating and therefore is less costly. My client does just that: guarantees issues of municipal bonds. So they close a contract with NY city that they will guarantee an issue of 1000 $ for 50 $. The contracts are paid over a certain number or years … So originally the invoice that we;ll create in the system will be 50$ (the document no. of this will be the number of the policy written). But later on, NY city changes some of details of the insurance policy and the premium is now 75 $. The way they track everything is by the Policy No. And apparently they say that especially in France (yes they have a branch in France also [;)] ) auditors are very suspicious of different document nos. Don’t get me wrong. I disagree with this approach but if the client feels that he will have problems with the auditors in France by creating separate documents there is no way I can contradict him. There you go … What now?[:(]

Cristi: There is a TESTFIELD in the CU12 that checks for the sign being opposite to what you are trying to apply to. You can build an IF around it so that the program will skip it and “apply” the amounts even if the signs are matching. The “if” IMHO should be a must so that you wont be able to set off other types of entries in error. Cheers Alex

Hi Cristi, I don’t know if this will help you in your quest for a solution, but heres’ my 2 cents (I believe that’s how you call it at the other side of the pond): - Activate the column ‘Correction’ in your Sales Journal before entering the memo posting. - Do not use ‘automatic numbers’ in this journal. - Using ‘Correction’ in a posting allows you to use the same documentno. for a customer. - You will get a new customer ledger entry, but it has a the same documentno. - A positive correction cannot be applied to an invoice in standard Navision. Good luck!