Database File Splitting

Is any one here can help with the following problem? I want to split an existing 8.0GB Navision 2.60 Database into four files, is it possibly done? Thanks, Steven.

• Make Backup - Create new database (4 x 2GB) - Restore backup into new database - Delete old database

Thank you for your reply. I have another question. I have my test DB divided into 4 files (NavDB, NavDB1, NavDB2, and NavDB3), how do I specify these files so when my server start it will loads all the files? Thanks again, Steven.

You only need to specify the first, original file. The “extensions” you added later in Navision’s database extension form will be recognized automatically.

Hi, but if you copy the DB-files to another location be sure that you have the same absolute path’s to the files, else navision does NOT find the 2. 3. 4. files

The Client program supports opening a splitted database in this way: fin.exe database=c:\something\part1.fdb+d:\navision\part2.fdb+z:\path\part3.fdb I’m not sure if the Server does the same.

quote:

Originally posted by nelson
The Client program supports opening a splitted database in this way: fin.exe database=c:\something\part1.fdb+d:\navision\part2.fdb+z:\path\part3.fdb I’m not sure if the Server does the same.

After you’ve opened the database with a client (as said above) the server only needs the first file i.e. part1.fdb

Topic moved from “open business subject” to “Navision Technical”

Thanks for everyone’s reply. It works. The Server accepts the ‘NavDB1+NavDB2+…’ for multiple fdb files. Regards, Steven.

I have some problem in following the split instructions. After I create these 4 2GB databases, how to restore the one backup file into 4 different small databases? I created 4 databases with names of test1, test2, test3 and test4. I opened the test1 in trying to restore the backup file. I got the error message of not enough space. Thanks.

Hi trin, you have to create 1 database with 4 parts (test1.fdb, test2.fdb, test3.fdb, test4.fdb). Here step-by-step: - File → Database → New, Database Name = …\test1.fdb, Size = … - OK - File → Database → Expand → Advanced, - new line, File Name …\test2.fdb, Size = … - new line, File Name …\test3.fdb, Size = … - new line, File Name …\test4.fdb, Size = … - OK And have a look a file w1w1ism.pdf (3.2 CREATING AND MAINTAINING DATABASES) at the Doc directory on the product-cd. br Josef Metz

The instructions for ‘splitting’ a db given above were lacking a few details: To split a db into multiple parts, do the following (see section 3.8 of the Installation and System Mgt Guide w1w1ism.pdf): 1) Make a backup (.fbk) of your current db. 2) Create a new db (File, Database, New), and specify the Path and Name and size for the ‘first’ segment. 3) When the ‘first’ segment is created, expand the db to multiple segments (File, Database, Expand, then click on the Advanced button and add segments 2 thru n). They must be the same size in order to maximize the benefits of split files. 4) Very important – you must now close and re-open the new database, before restoring any data. If you fail to perform this step, data will not be ‘striped’ evenly across the files, and you will get poor performance. 5) Restore the backup taken in step 1. [Edit : [Oops!] sorry about the duplicate post – Josef is clearly a faster typist than I…]

Hi Fritz, i was faster, but you had more details:

quote:

you must now close and re-open the new database, before restoring any data

quote:

They must be the same size in order to maximize the benefits of split files

br Josef Metz

Hi, may be this would work since i faced lthe problem long back and if you are working on a version less then 3.10 use the split file names to be fin I mean fin1, fin2 etc becoz. I beleive this must been fixed in the later version anyway this might work. Cheers Sreekanth

I am guessing you mean 3.10 as in the Windows version (Attain/Financials), but this feature has not changed at all since the DOS days of verion 3.04. So it is not something new.