Data Migration...

Hi, I want to migrate data from Navision 3.56 (DOS based) to Navision Financials 2.01. what might be the best and easy solution? Am i left with only upgrade process of navision? This procedure will really kill my patience and I had never worked on Navision DOS based. Please help me with ur experiences. Thanx in advance Taj

quote:

Originally posted by Taj: what might be the best and easy solution? Taj

Subcontract to an experienced freelancer who has got a few Navision 3.xx (Dos) to NF 2.xx upgrades under his belt, you will save yourself time and utimately money. If your 3.56 is heavily customized you should also take in consideration that you have to allocate enough time to rewrite everything for Financials, basically do not underestimate the job. Edited by - Tarek Demiati on 2001 Aug 29 10:02:54

Give Tom @ Aston Group a call. 317-844-5705 He is IMHO an expert at this. Bill Benefiel Manager of Information Systems Overhead Door Company billb@ohdindy.com (317) 842-7444 ext 117

The most usual way for doing it is as follows: Modify your Financials standard to the customer’s requirements (most analysis in navision 3.5x will help and also some code). Export the data you need to keep from Navision 3.5x to text files (you just need to create reports with the data you want and use as printer a generic export device (file on disk)). Import the data in Navision financials and process it for initialization of your Database. Regards from California, – Alfonso Pertierra apertierra@teleline.es Spain Western Computer Los Angeles, California

Hi Taj, Install the conversion toolkit in the 2.01B product cd. And then make a back up in the 3.56 (dos based) this will create file in the *.#bk format. Now after installing the finconv objects in your 2.01B database you can restore the back up files with #bk extension. Once you do this conversion then all you data is now in the 2.01b database. Within the database the finconv will give you 2 codeunits which you can use for deleting the unwanted objects or differences between the 3.56 and 2.01B. If you want to do the same for 2.60 you have to follow the same proceedure. Believe me its reliable, I have successfully converted the data from the 3.56 to 2.60D version. Best regards, Prashanth pbg@navilogic.com

Thank you very much guys… now, i got different options. i will try it out. Taj

Taj, If I might give you my personal advise: Contact Tarek Demiati directly. He’s more or less in your region and has an excellent reputation as developer in the Navision world. ------- With best regards from Switzerland Marcus Fabian

I am currently in full time employment therefore not available. However you may want to contact David Singleton if you decide to subcontract the work. Cheers, Tarek

[quote]
Originally posted by fabian: Taj, If I might give you my personal advise: Contact Tarek Demiati directly. He’s more or less in your region and has an excellent reputation as developer in the Navision world. ------- With best regards from Switzerland Marcus Fabian

</font id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote Edited by - Tarek Demiati on 2001 Sep 02 08:33:39

Hey Taj, You are one of the best I have seen. I am sure you can do it yourself. All the best. Rohith Kamath Senior Consultant The Naviworld Group