Custom Main Menu

I have created my own custom main menu, rather than modify the standard one. How do I get Navision Attain to display my custom main menu rather than the standard one?

UserSetup => ‘Main Menu ID’ bye André

or change the standaard menu form in codeunit 1. But only if Andre’s solution in not what you are looking for! CompanyOpen() : Integer IF USERID <> '' THEN IF UserSetup.GET(USERID) THEN MainMenuID := UserSetup."Main Menu ID"; IF MainMenuID = 0 THEN MainMenuID := FORM::"Main Menu"; <-- Change this! EXIT(MainMenuID);

Hi Emiel

quote:

Originally posted by eromein
… or change the standaard menu form in codeunit 1 …

You should never change the standard menu! [;)] bye André

Hi André, Why "You should never change the standard menu!’ ? You are right, that is “hard coding”, and the customer can not change it, but what else? br Josef Metz

No? What about your database version code, do you not update that? Be carefull what you answer now… [;)]

btw, a company has 500 employees, 499 of them are using a company menu. Only one of them (superuser) is using the standaard navision menu. What should one do? a.) Change codeunit 1 (Well documented offcourse) and change (create!) 1 usersetup record. b.) Create and/or change 499 usersetup records. I know what the right answer is, but what would you really do in a situation like this? Remember… Main Menu “0” is in fact the customers default menu… [;)]

Hi Josef & Emiel IMHO the main menu (with enhancements) should be reserved for the super users. So they have a short way to all standard objects. They don’t need an entry in the UserSetup => CU 1. All other users should have (in our company they have [;)]) customized menus only with the objects they need. They need an entry in the UserSetup. But perhaps it’s only my opinion [:(]. bye André

I think you are not the only one with that opinion. In fact, I have the same… but! Not every user needs a usersetup record. So if you need to create 499 usersetup records just to open a menu I think it’s much more easy to modify codeunit 1 (well documented). Plus if new employees are hired, you do not have to create a new usersetup record. If offcourse you only created those records to open a menu. And what is the main menu anyway. The standaard Navision menu one user uses or the menu all people except one are using?

Hi Emiel

quote:

… Not every user needs a usersetup record …

Is this really true? IMHO almost nothing works without an UserSetup. But perhaps I think so because we have several other fields integrated in this record.

quote:

… So if you need to create 499 usersetup records just to open a menu I think it’s much more easy to modify codeunit 1 (well documented). …

[:D] 499 user? Navision? Is it really possible? Imagine: 100 users tries at the same time to create a sales order [xx(]. …Record is locked by user …[:(!] bye André

quote:

a company has 500 employees, 499 of them are using a company menu. Only one of them (superuser) is using the standaard navision menu. What should one do? a.) Change codeunit 1 (Well documented offcourse) and change (create!) 1 usersetup record. b.) Create and/or change 499 usersetup records.

The answer is B: you should never change the standard (an less hard code it) if you can do the same with standard setup. Regards

Don’t post during entering… This should speed up the system by 1525,23%. We have customer that has 80 people entering orders at the same time. Works great!!

quote:

Originally posted by eromein Not every user needs a usersetup record. So if you need to create 499 usersetup records just to open a menu I think it’s much more easy to modify codeunit 1 (well documented). Plus if new employees are hired, you do not have to create a new usersetup record. If offcourse you only created those records to open a menu.

They need a usersetup record if they’re going to use a different menu. It’s not taking almost time to setup a user (and on the initial setup you can always create a report for filling the user-setup table with the values you got on the users table). What if you hire a new user a couple weeks later that needs to use a different menu??? what if you’ve 499 employees using a menu, a super using the main menu and 10 more users using a different other menu will you change again the codeunit??? and what if later you need using a different one??? It’s a lot easier and faster using user setup… and the best part is that the customer can change that setup whenever he wants… (let’s say that 499 of those users were using the menu you made and later 2 of those users become super-user…) Regards

quote:

Don’t post during entering… This should speed up the system by 1525,23%. We have customer that has 80 people entering orders at the same time. Works great!!

What does this to do with the forms problem??? or you did answer the on the wrong explorer screen or there’s a problem on the website when posting replies… Regards,

quote:

Originally posted by apertierra What does this to do with the forms problem??? or you did answer the on the wrong explorer screen or there’s a problem on the website when posting replies… Regards,

That was the answer for my last posting regarding 100 users creating sales orders at same time! bye André

quote:

Originally posted by Andre DDB That was the answer for my last posting regarding 100 users creating sales orders at same time!

[:o)] Ups… now i see… sorry… i though it was an error… i forgot about your comment about the 100 users and didn’t associate the post with it… [;)]