Cusotmer Data Migration

Hi,

We are migrating customer data from legacy system to Dynamics AX 2012 R3 through a txt file using Customer’s entity.

We are getting an error msg as

"Unable to return Dimension Attribute value for %1 (given customer)".

i.e. not able to create a record in General ledger–> Setup -->Financial Dimensions → Financial Dimensions → Dimension (Customer) → Financial Dimension values

Could someone please help me sort out this error or guide me the pre-requisite processes to be done before importing data through Customer entity so that the error doesn’t arise.

Thanks,

Lakshmi

Customer dimensions values are created automatically when you create a new customer record. You are trying to force to create those dimensions in import ?

Note that this is already being discussed in a duplicate thread on another forum.

It is hard to manage duplicate threads … Thanks Martin

Hi,

I am just trying to give a clarification.

Every developer will not be going round on all AX Forums (may be few but not all).

So when an error/issue is troubling a developer, he/she can ask in various forums because we do not know whose solution approach is finally going to solve the issue/error.

No one can guarantee that sticking to a single forum will definitely give an apt solution approach.

Thanks,

Lakshmi

Hi Nuno,

According to my understanding, customer entity is creating records in DimAttributeCustTable (DMFCustomerEntityClass\generateDefaultDimension (method).

DimensionAttributevalue (table)\ findByDimensionAttributeAndValueNoError (method)

// Look up value based on backing entity type and value attribute from the dimension attribute

dictTable = new DictTable(_dimensionAttribute.BackingEntityType);

backingEntity = dictTable.makeRecord();

if my understanding is wrong, could you please help me in figuring out through which entity or process, customers will get created in financial dimensions. Actually my error is the same. It is unable to retrieve the values.

Which process needs to be run first, before running customer entity?

Thanks,

Lakshmi

Yes, but saying the same thing again won’t help you in any way and others would just waste their time. Therefore I did your job for your and provided a link to the existing discussion. You got the best of both worlds - a question in both forums and still a single point of maintenance. I’m sorry that you didn’t appreciate my help.

Thanks for merging Martin. Sorry…I didn’t see that part previously.

Thanks,

Lakshmi