Critical Update Navision 4.0 KB903036

Hi, all I’ve downloaded (after Aug, 15!) the abovesaid hotfix from partnersource and tried to apply it on the Nav 4.00 client on my PC. On my PC I have just the client folder, not registered. I’ve followed the given instructions about the client part, that is: [code] Copy the file: fin.stx; to the W1 language folder - Default path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Client\ENU\ Locate the fin.stx file that corresponds to your language version within the Local Fin.stx files folder. Copy this file into the corresponding language folder (ENU example is above). Also, use this file for fin.stx in the following Client and Server steps. Copy the files: fin.exe, finsql.exe, ndbcs.dll, fin.stx; to the Navision Client folder - Default path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Client\ [\code] After that, I tried to start the client and got the error “The server and client haven’t the same program number”… server? which server? [?] I replaced the original files so that I could work. Then somebody in the forum mentioned the problem being related with the .stx files (although the partnersource site states they were updated on Aug, 15 to correct a known issue). I tried to reapeat the process leaving the .stx files out - got the same error. [B)] Anybody knows what all this is about? Any suggestion? Thanks. Anna

First be aware that Navision does not have a “local” mode of operation. In fact what happens, is that when you start fin on a local database, the server is launched as a part of the Fin.exe program. That’s why you can connect multiple fin clients to the same local database, since they are actully connecting through a server. But this just shows why the program is giving you this error message. It definitely looks like you have a mismatch between Fin.exe and STX, but it could also be a mismatch with a dll. Either it really is a Navision bug, or somewher ein there you are misisng one file. PS also just rereading, it looks like you havent actually registered 4.00m but are just running it from the directory. THis could be the issue, maybe something to do with COmpany Notes or similar. I suggest that first step is to Install 4.00 through the installer.

I always thought SLAVE.EXE acted as the ‘local’ stand-in for the server… If you look at the properties for SLAVE.EXE, the Description given is “Navision Database Server Driver Engine”… !??

No, slave.exe is the program that manages commitcache. basically it is used to emulate write cache or virtual memory, where commited records are stored. SLAVE.EXE then transfers this data to the hard disks as it can. Basically once Commitcache is on, all disk write tranactions pass through a slave.exe, which is why you see one per database part.

This is a binary mismatch (not stx). Your dbm.dll and fin.exe must agree on the version number because they share an interface. It looks like you missed dbm.dll in the file list, or rather the instructions you have missed it…

quote:

This is a binary mismatch (not stx). Your dbm.dll and fin.exe must agree on the version number because they share an interface. It looks like you missed dbm.dll in the file list, or rather the instructions you have missed it…
Originally posted by robertc - 2005 Sep 15 : 12:42:38

The hotfix I downloaded does not contain dbm.dll, where do I look for it? [}:)] Anna

quote:

PS also just rereading, it looks like you havent actually registered 4.00m but are just running it from the directory. THis could be the issue, maybe something to do with COmpany Notes or similar. I suggest that first step is to Install 4.00 through the installer.
Originally posted by David Singleton - 2005 Sep 14 : 16:47:41

Yes, I’m running fin.exe from the directory. I’m working with several NA versions at once on the same computer and I can register only one of them. So far, the most of my work is still on NA 3.70a, so that is the one registered. That will, of course, change in time, but not yet. Anna

Anna, I have followed the instructions from MBS and was not able to reproduce the issue you are describing. You say you are running multiple versions of Navision, is it possible that your default zup file is trying to connect you to a server.exe that has not been updated?

I also work mostly on 3.70, but have registerd 4.00. I find tht installing a later version, does not have as bad an effet as installing an earlier version. Its generally best to keep installing newer versiosn, though I guess my registry is starting to get a bit crowded.

Ciao Anna, did you install the previous hotfixes? I had the same problem with another hotfix (for KB: 887713, 888623, 888625, 888626, 888627, 888628, 890551) cause I forgot to replace slave.exe. Now I installed all the available HF and on my pc the product version of slave.exe is 4.0.0.20942 and the one of fin.exe is 4.0.0.21544 and it works.

elbi, I think you may have it right there. Anna, its important to differentiate between a Service Pack and a Hot Fix. Hot Fixes are cumulative, so they don’t include fixes that were in earlier Hot Fixes, where as a service pack is like putting all the hot fixes into one box, so they can all be applied at once. I generally avoid Hot Fixes unless they address a specific issue that I have, and only install Service Packs regularly.

Anna, do you connect to a Navision Database server on another machine? Maybe it’s causing an error because the hotfix needs to be applied to the server files as well. And I agree with David, hotfixes should only be applied when you have the specific problem that they address. Having to apply all of the hotfixes up to the one you need is always tricky business.

quote:

Ciao Anna, did you install the previous hotfixes? I had the same problem with another hotfix (for KB: 887713, 888623, 888625, 888626, 888627, 888628, 890551) cause I forgot to replace slave.exe. Now I installed all the available HF and on my pc the product version of slave.exe is 4.0.0.20942 and the one of fin.exe is 4.0.0.21544 and it works.
Originally posted by elbi - 2005 Sep 15 : 23:30:28

I gladly would if they were somewhere to be find. [:P] I just went through the download area on partnersource for NA 4.0 but didn’t find anything with these codes. Where should I look? Anna

quote:

Anna, do you connect to a Navision Database server on another machine? Maybe it’s causing an error because the hotfix needs to be applied to the server files as well.

No, I’m trying to open a local database from inside a NA client started doubleclicking on the fin.exe… Not the regular way to do it, I know.[:P]

quote:

And I agree with David, hotfixes should only be applied when you have the specific problem that they address. Having to apply all of the hotfixes up to the one you need is always tricky business.
Originally posted by DenSter - 2005 Sep 16 : 15:36:40

I agree too. What I’m trying to apply is the hotfix (executables only) which should prevent the earliest NA 4.00 release from crashing whenever you sneeze or scratch your head. [:)] BTW - You, guys, living in the USA, arent you? [;)] Anna

Anna, you need to ask for update 1 (Hot fix ID 216403, Version 20942) and install this HF before the one you already have.

we are having the same issue described in the first post in this topic…but i can’t view any of the replies to the topic because the site gives the following error: Microsoft JET Database Engine error ‘80040e57’ The field is too small to accept the amount of data you attempted to add. Try inserting or pasting less data. /forum/topic.asp, line 914 if anyone can see this post…and knows of a solution to this problem…could you please start a new thread because this one seems broken somhow. Thanks! -Adam

Well none of these posts are in wide mode, so I guess my last guess was wrong. Adam can you see the posts now that there is a new reply? If not then there goes that theory.

quote:

Anna, you need to ask for update 1 (Hot fix ID 216403, Version 20942) and install this HF before the one you already have.
Originally posted by elbi - 2005 Sep 20 : 10:20:57

Problem solved, thanks to Daniel! [:X] Anna

i can see posts again…hoooray! is this the “update 1” hotfix being referred to? https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?WTNTZSMNWUKNTMMYKKQRRUZVRPSSXNSNKLSPVXYOVWLQKOYYKMZOUVZWVUZNKTSRSZMWNOPLQLXPPSNN i’m guessing that we have to contact tech support in order to get that hotfix? it’s not listed on partnersource anywhere that i can see.