Cost of Goods sold

Hi,

How do we get cost of goods sold in Navision 2009. We can see the cost of goods sold in GL Entry, but i need to get a report item wise. Which table has cost of goods sold value.

Thanks.

You need to check the G/L Entry table with the Account No you specified in COGS in chart of accounts.

Hi,

The G/L Entry table does not have Item No, or description. These details are in SalesinvoiceLine. But we do not have one to one key from salesinvoiceline to gl entry table.

Hi,

You can get the COGS amount from below flowfields of Item Ledger Entry

after invoice -->“Cost Amount (Actual)”

before invoice after Shipment -->“Cost Amount (Expected)”

These 2 flow field will sum the value from “Value Entry” table.

And FYI, you can also use “G/L - Item Ledger Relation” table to link G/L entry transaction and Value Entry transaction, which will help you to link the Item no.

Mike S.

Hi Michael,

How do i link item ledger into Salesinvoiceline. I have item description and other fields which are in salesinvoiceline.

I need salesinvoiceline.item no, salesinvoiceline.field1, salesinvoiceline.fields2, itemledger.cost amount(actual), itemledger.sale amount.

Hi Saji,

In Item Ledger you can use below fields to link

1. Document Type
  2. Document No.
  3. Document Line No.

The above one will help you if you have invoice no. in Item Ledger

Otherwise you can link Value Entry table and Sales Invoice Line table using above mentioned fields. Because Value Entry table also have those fields.

Mike S.

The “Cost Amount” fields in the “Item Ledger Entry” is the cost of your inventory. That is not “Cost of Goods Sold” (COGS). COGS comes form your General Ledger, as stated earlier. How you need, or want, to report COGS defines how you need to setup your inventory in terms of posting setup and/or dimensions.

Upto my knowledge COGS amount and Item ledger Cost amount (value entrt) will be same always. And if there are any mismatch then Sub ledger and GL never tally. So in that case it doesn’t matter where you are pulling the cost

I am going with Michael suggession. I made a query output, but this query ouput is not matching with trail balance. I will have to check again. Thanks michael & all others.

The “cost amount” fields are the cost of the inventory. This is not COGS. While the numbers may be the same in many situations they are not the same thing. COGS is a fiscal “period sensitive” calculation.

How does the G/L entry gets COGS. What is the source table ?

Not sure I follow your question.

COGS is whatever is posted to those GL Accounts your have designated as COGS.

Hi

I here agree with Michael. ILE cost amount (actual ) contains the COGS for that specific transaction with all cost contributing transactions (like item charges, revaluation, adjust cost entries etc) coming from VLE. But again , this is purely depended on the costing method chosen to value your inventory. For e.g, if it is STANDARD costing, you may find only variances in cost in GL level, but ILE will show standard cost always except there is seasonal standard cost fluctuations.

Hi,

We are using Costing method ‘Average’. I think in this case we can use costactual in ValueEntry table for Cogs. please confirm ?.

Whether you can use the approach of the value entry will depend on what you are including in COGS and how it is entered into your system. If all you include is direct inventory cost, then using the sum of the “Cost (Actual)” and “Cost (Expected)” would give you COGS. But if you are including “non-inventoriable” cost, then that won’t. What would depends on how those cost transactions are being recorded.

The only place you can get an accurate COGS, regardless of system setup or use, is the GL.

Hi Saji,

Did you get an answer to your question? Did it help you? The members and moderators here on DUG use our spare time and help you for free, all we ask in return is that you spent a few seconds to let us know if we helped you solve your problem.

If any of the suggestions helped you solve your question/problem, then please click the “Verify Solution” on the answer that helped you, so that we can see that your problem is now “resolved”. Otherwise let us know how if there is something else you like to know.

Have a nice day! [:)]