Corrupt database

In attempting a Navision backup of a 2.5 database, I get the message indicating that there is a database corruption, please run the “Test Database” process, etc. The “Test Database” process errors out with the same message. The client has no earlier backups that don’t have this same problem. Does anyone know if there’s a way to get the data out of a corrupted database like this and into a new “fresh” database? The user is not experiencing any errors in running Navision - they simply can’t make a backup using Navision backup. TIA Ron Saritzky

If your profile (which states End-User, Beginner) is correct, there’s no chance for you. You need professional help. What you can do is to observe the backup process and write down the name of the table which failed the backup. This table contains corrupted data. I had such a case once in my life and it took me two days to have the database fixed. The solution: You need a dataport for each and every table and of course special treatement for the table with the corrupt record(s). Good luck! ------- With best regards from Switzerland Marcus Fabian

I experienced the same about three weeks ago, at a customer here in California. It took me about 1 day (fulltime) to dataport alle the data out. Depending on what table is corrupt you have a quite big task in front of you. In this case it was the item ledger entry table. Our luck was that the damaged entries where old entries, so we could retrieve these from an old backup. So we came up live again without any loss of data. Good luck Soren Nielsen, moderator Integration/Developer NOLUG By the way i can see you are located in Woodland Hills, im in Simi Valley. So feel free to give me a call, i guess you know the name of my NSC :slight_smile: Edited by - SNielsen on 2001 May 20 01:02:57

Hmmn. Isn’t SCS a US NSC? If so, then I’d suggest 1. Uploading a copy of the database to your NTR. Why, each NTR has a tool that might be able to fix the database. 2. Filling out a webform letting support know the version, the size of the database, along with any necessary security information in order to get into the database. Please note that the US NTR has a help document on what to do if you think you have a corrupt database. Furthermore, they have instructions on uploading a database to them to the ftp site. If you are truely an end-user then I’d suggest contacting your NSC.

I experienced a problem similar to this once, where the backup operation completed successfully, but the restore operation would raise an error similar to the one you describe. It turned out to be empty objects in Object Designer (let’s say you like to make placeholders in your object numbers for future functionality) that was causing the problem. It’s worth a look to see if you have any empty objects in your DB. This might be your problem, and wouldn’t be tough to fix.