Corporate Item Master and AX 2012 R3.

So I would like to have a corporate Item Master but not sure how to do it properly. So here is an example of what I would like to do:

Say Company A is my corporate company and I have company B, C, D and E. I in this Company A I configure all my items and the particulars such as Description, Segment, Sub Segment, Image, Item Group and such.
I would like the ability to have all my items created in my Corporate Company then shared down to the other companies so that I have a single Item Master.
When I try to use Products (Product Information Management \ Products \ Products) and then Release the Product to another company the Released Item that is created in the other company is a shell. It does not contain most of the particulars that are on the original item such as Image, Item Group, Cost Group and such.

Is there a way to achieve this?

You would use MDM (Master Data Management) to achieve this.

MDM makes sense if you have multiple AX 2012 deployments but in this environment its all sitting on a single environment with multiple companies.

Does MDM still make sense here?

Are there any other options?

MDM is designed to move data between AX companies using the DIXF entities. It can work across instances and within instances - it is the tool Microsoft recommend you use for this exact purpose [:D]