compressing and optimizing

yesterday i’ve got a message window which told me to compress and to optimize data in the database. I know how to optimize data. But what about compressing ? I’ve found no button to do this. Is this similar to the compress function in MySQL ? thanks in advance STEFAN

No, you really don’t want to compress, better is buy more hard disks. The compression basically combines like records to reduce the size of the database. For example, if you have 100 postings to a G/L account in one month, and they have the same dimensions etc. and if you don’t need detail at the daily level, then you can combine them into one entry for the month, and save lots of space. Problem is you loose a lot, navigate is no longer possible (on those records) for example. There are very few cases where compression is a good idea. having said that, one area where it works well, is in a Retail (cash register) type operation. If compression is going to work for you, then best is an “on the fly” / or “end of day” type compression. Another point is that with all the new navision tables, the gains are not all that great.

hmm… not really clear to me. Does that mean that if i have a customer and he buys every day the same goods with the same price i coulöd aggregate every single purchase-record to one by adding simply every number of good and the total price to one amount ? Example: customer X buys of good “Y”: 01.01.2004 10 pieces price 100 Euro 02.01.2004 20 pieces price 200 Euro 03.01.2004 5 pieces price 50 Euro in total: 35 pieces price 350 Euro So i could store only the total and delete the three single records ? If yes i had to create a function which does this ?! I thought compressing was something like zip or tar ?!..

You can start by reading about Date Compression in the On-Line Manual

Stefan, From my understanding, the compression works exactly how David said. It combines entries to leave just one entry. Sorry, nothing to do with zip or tar!

Stefan, From my understanding, the compression works exactly how David said. It combines entries to leave just one entry. Sorry, nothing to do with zip or tar!