Comparing Navision to Axapta

There is little traffic in the Axapta forums so I am posting this message here. I’m mainly interested in what developers think anyway. Has anyone else compared Axapta with Navision Financials? I looked at some documentation and Axapta looks very similar to Navision but it seemed even better technically. It is SQL based in the core and the language looks more powerful. They claim that integrating new releases is much cleaner in Axapta. It seems that Axapta may be ahead of NF in web integration and XML for now. It looks like NF and Axapta were very close competitors. I am waiting for 3.0 and now am wondering if I should consider Axapta 2.5. Does anyone know the history of Axapta development? I’m wondering if some ex-Navision people were involved. It looks like they are marketing both products through totally separate NSCs for now. I would think they intend to merge these 2 products together in the future. David Rochford Zesco Products 317-269-9300 x188 david@zesco.com

I don’t know if it’s 100% true, but I’ve heard that where Financials has a software cost vs. service (impementation, developement etc.) costs ratio of 1 to 2. Everytime you spend USD 100,000 on software it costs you approx. USD 200,000 in services. With Axapta this ration should be 1 to 4. And to this lay that Axapta is more expensive. Axapta is - without doubt - more technical advanced than both Navision Financials and Navision “Solutions”. It’s much more web aware, you can use practically all standard Windows components directly from inside Financials. It’s database management (Oracle) is better to handle many users/transactions. On top of that lay that you currently only will be able to find a handfull of resellers in the US, that know the system. And no one has as much experience with Axapta as the best Navision Financials resellers in the US. At the world conference they did not announce any new product to merge the two products together. Both product lines will continue. Later a new next generation product will be released. And maybe - maybe not - you will be able to upgrade directly. As for now - you could as well consider SAP or BAAN. Axapta is a great product - if you really need it. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group

Hi, I asked myself another question. Should we start to implement Axapta or not? This is my answer: 1. It is absolutely not enough information to make any decision. You must spend money on training and try to implement this solution. Only after this you will have answer on your questions. I tried to ask questions on conference and the most common answer was: “We do not have this information.” 2. Navision have just released third Quarter result: they claim Axapta sale grow 122%, but Navision Financials Sale go up from 49 to 64% from total revenue. It is mean that some XAL customers upgrade to Axapta but in general Axapta just loosing market. As you see revenue from Axapta was 12.5% from total Navision revenue for first half year, now it is just 10%. 3. As I know some of largest solution centers decide not to sell Axapta. Valentin Gvozdev BMI Inc.

At the time of the merger (last oct/nov I think) I heard rumours that even though Axapta is a technically enhanced product, it still has a lot of problems, “child sickensses” which had to be corrected. Daamgard was in the uncomfortable position that they either sell an unfinished product to get some cash or spend another 3-6 months to correct the problems before selling Axapta. From this point of view it made sense to merge with Navision as this merger was a good excuse to explain delays in delivery without having to say anything about software problems. However, these are rumours so interpret this information with care. ------- With best regards from Switzerland Marcus Fabian

Is it possible that Axapta is a better Navision than Navision? It seems that Axapta is very similar to Navision but it seems to do things better in a few key areas. 1) X plus plus (I wonder why this forum deletes the two plus signs I type) language seems to be more powerful than C/AL. 2) Customization layers provide a way to keep customizations separate and supposedly make it far easier to update to new releases of the software. 3) It is SQL-based instead of a hack to provide SQL where the software really still thinks the database is Navisions. I know that flow fields are a hack in the SQL version. 4) The use of COM objects allows the internal logic to be executed outside of the system. My review is just beginning, but right now it looks like Axapta is very similar to Navision, but that the implementation is much more technically sound and up to date. I wonder if Navision will allow us to trade in our license for Navision Advanced Distribution for Axapta? David Rochford Zesco Products 317-269-9300 x188 david@zesco.com

On SQL Navision (non-axapta): The implementation of flow technology in SQL is a feat a very careful engineering excellence. Calling it a hack hardly seems fair. SQL doesn’t even have the concept of flow technology or SIFT. It is really awsome that you can do an insert outside of Navision and SIFT/Flow tech updates still happen correctly. From a functional and implementation perspective SQL Flow Technology does not seem to deserve to be called a hack. It is a little slow in some cases, but I think with the latest version of SQL and Navision that problem has been greatly reduced. And it is still faster than most competing SQL solutions in most cases. On Axapta: I like the “Navision” user interface better. It seems more consistent and easier. That may just be due to my years of using it. The other Axapta technology looks much more powerful than “Navision.” Of course, this does not necessarily mean it is a beter solution for a particular customer. Jim Hollcraft NCSD, NCSP, MCSE, CNE, MCP, MST aka Skater http://drilldot.com Unauthorized Navision News

quote:

Originally posted by Jim Hollcraft: SQL doesn’t even have the concept of flow technology or SIFT.

I have heard a rumour that Microsoft is licensing this technology from Navision for their coming products. So maybe in the future… Per.Bay@navigera.com Product Manager www.navigera.com

[/quote]
I have heard a rumour that Microsoft is licensing this technology from Navision for their coming products. So maybe in the future… Per.Bay@navigera.com Product Manager www.navigera.com
[/quote]
Maybe Microsoft will add one Navisions strongest selling points SIFT, to thier Greatplains software! David Cox MindSource (UK) Limited Navision Solutions Partner Email: david@mindsource.co.uk Web: www.mindsource.co.uk