Compare Tool

Hello, I hope someone can help me out. I’m using the compare tool (NF 2.01) to compare two objects (one of the cronus and one of the production DB). I’ve exported both objects as text files and placed them in the SOURCE and TARGET folder. Both files are for example called Tab100.txt. When I compare them a log file is created with the following text: TAB100.TXT: ??. Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong? Thanks, Henry

… extracto from compare help… 1. Create a folder, Objects, with two subfolders, Source and Target. 2. In the Compare Tool Setup window, fill in the paths to the Source and Target folders in the Source Folder and Target Folder fields. 3. In the Compare Tool Setup window, place a check mark in the Delete Unmodified Files check box. 4. Put the “new” object text file into the Objects folder, and put the “old” object text file into the Source folder. 5. In the Compare Tool window, select the “new” object text file, and choose Functions, Make 1 File per Object to split it into single-object files. 6. In the Compare Tool window, select the Source folder and choose OS File, Open. 7. Select the “old” object text file, and choose Functions, Make 1 File per Object to split it into single-object files. 8. In the Compare Tool window, select the single-object files (in the Objects folder) that you want to compare. (These are files for “new” objects.) You can use a filter to select the ones you want. 9. Choose Functions, Compare to compare them to the single-object files with the same names in the Source subfolder. (These are object files for the “old” objects.) After the files have been compared, the Target folder contains a new file called LOG.TXT that contains a list of the objects, each with a remark indicating whether it has been changed - that is, whether or not the “old” and “new” versions are identical. (LOG.TXT is the default name of the file. You can change this in the Log File Name field of the Compare Tool Setup window.) The Target folder also contains a log (consisting of several files) describing what changes have been made to each object. Especially point 4 is important, the “new” txt files go into the OBJECTS folder, the “old” txt files into the SOURCE folder, the result will be saved in the TARGET folder… Saludos Nils

Thank you Nils for your detailed information. It works now!