Code Field for Posting Groups

The maximum length of the code field is 10 characters. Is this something that absolutely cannot be changed? It would be beneficial to use a larger number of characters for Inventory. If not, what is reason behind the limit of characters for field codes? Thank you. Kathryn

Hi Kathryn, the size of the Code Fields can be changed, but it’s quite a cumbersome task since you have to change all the tables where this code field is used and modify the lenght, otherwise you can expect a runtime error when trying to asign a value that is too long. For example, the location code of Inventory is used around 60 times in other tables… Nevertheless, virtual table 2000000041 Field can give you a hint where this code is used in other tables. Of course this can only be done with the developers licence and should only be performed by an experienced Navision developer and together with a thorough testing. Saludos Nils

Hi Nils, I’m actually thinking about the code field for either the General Product Posting Group or the Inventory Posting Group (maybe both). Does this make a difference? It didn’t look like a huge task when reviewing the information I have, but maybe I’m overlooking something. I don’t want to change it myself, I’m only looking at whether or not it is a possibility. Thank you for responding. Kathryn

quote:

Originally posted by nilsm
Hi Kathryn, the size of the Code Fields can be changed, but it’s quite a cumbersome task since you have to change all the tables where this code field is used and modify the lenght, otherwise you can expect a runtime error when trying to asign a value that is too long. For example, the location code of Inventory is used around 60 times in other tables… Nevertheless, virtual table 2000000041 Field can give you a hint where this code is used in other tables. Of course this can only be done with the developers licence and should only be performed by an experienced Navision developer and together with a thorough testing. Saludos Nils

Hi Kathryn, if you really, really want to change one of these codes then rather change Inventory Posting Group, for the following reasons: - Inventory posting group is a more specific link between one module (Inventory) and G/L - this code occurs only around 6 times - Gen. Product Posting Group is more general and is used all over: in Sales, Purchasing, Inventory, Resources, etc. All in all it’s used in more than 30 tables. - you also have to consider posting routines and funcions where these codes are asigned to variables that are only 10 characters long… you also would have to change those… Anyway, why do you want to change the length of these fields? Once correctly configured the user won’t need to change them and they are rather “hidden” fields. And the 10 characters should give you enough possibilities to define these groups… I really don’t think the effort is worth it in this case… Saludos Nils

I have changed the length of one of those frequently-used Code fields. It was a BIG pain. Not recommended. Not only do you have to track down every direct reference to the variable in other tables, you have to change all the indirect references (e.g., if a field in another table gets set to the value of this field, or if a codeunit uses the value of the field as a local variable, etc., etc.) An even bigger pain occurs when you have to upgrade the installation. Posting Group fields and the like always have a description field: the idea is that the Name is just a unique key, and the description is where the users go to see what the key refers to.

An alternative, we did for some clients: Create another field and place on the Item Card beside No.(as Prefix/Suffix).It requires less effort to do and gives you all the functionality expected with few exceptions. Ofcourse you need to use Table Filter instead of Field Filter. May not be an exact alternative but it served the purpose. Regards[;)]

Thanks for all the advise. I think we will use the search description to enter our product categories instead of changing this field. I just wish the search description printed on the reports! Kathryn

I’m not sure just what your requirements for a Product Category is (obviously), but if you need a larger field, you might consider using Description Line 2 rather than the Search Description. To my knowledge Description Line 2 use would create less interference.